avicularia versicolor

owowsedthecow

Arachnopeon
yeah I've been holding mine and the little bugger is fast! i think its kinda crazy that i love a spider but i do. i also have a chameleon and i know they get stressed out if you handle them too much ...is it the same with versis? i really enjoy holding him but if its not good for them ill bring it down a bit. i know dropping them can be fatal so I'm very careful when it comes to handling them.

---------- Post added 05-31-2012 at 07:01 PM ----------

your baby is so adorable kwacky!

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
Handling them is not natural so obviously it would stress them. I doubt anyone knows for sure how it affects them long term but common sense would tell you the less stress the better.

Zeph

Arachnosquire
owow - Because of you, I had Zoo Keeper on my mind and bought a Chaco golden knee from the North location today. :D I saw they had the versicolors on sale, I would have grabbed one if I didn't have one already!

owowsedthecow

Arachnopeon
yay! yeah thats where i got my baby. one of the guys let me hold their adult versi and thats what got me to get this little guy. i was originally going to wait for greenbottl blues to come in but after holding her i knew these were the way to go.

kwacky

Arachnosquire
Handling them is not natural so obviously it would stress them. I doubt anyone knows for sure how it affects them long term but common sense would tell you the less stress the better.
I think it depends on the circumstances. I was handling mine because it was out and about and looking for places to go. I'm sure my T saw my hand as somewhere to climb. I doubt there was any stress involved.

Pinned a T down in its enclosure and then scooping it up to handle is a different story.

owowsedthecow

Arachnopeon
i fed a T for the first time today!!! it was pretty awesome to watch. i fed him 4 fruit flies he's one month old and went after them as soon as they were put in his enclosure so I'm guessing thats a good sign. i was reading that avic slings die sometimes for no reason so I've been a little worried reading that and having this baby as my first ...but he's webbing and eating so i think i can keep my worries at bay.

kwacky

Arachnosquire
Spiders generally die for no good reason. Molting is a big killer. It's not just avics. In fact I reckon Avics are hardier than people give them credit.

But I agree with you; it's very reassuring to see your young ones feed. I saw my klugi 2nd instar take a couple of crickets tonight. I felt like a proud father.