Avicularia sp. "amazonica" babies

dmexotics

Arachnopeon
I have been checking my female amazonica with her egg sac daily since I discovered it on 9/11. This morning she was still carrying it and had the opening to her cork tube sealed with webbing. Tonight I checked on her and the cork tube was open with her sitting at the top. When I looked inside I noticed the egg sac laying on the bottom of the tube. I called my buddy, Francisco Torres, and he advised me to remove the sac and open it, also with some additional instructions on how to handle what I might see upon doing so. I snapped this photo before separating bad eggs from viable young. The count, at least for right now, is 46. I have them set up at this time and hopefully they will molt successfully into official little spiderlings soon. So there it is, my first official spider breeding from mating to this stage(my previous spider breeding was from an already gravid female so in my mind that didn't earn me the official merit badge).

jfuente31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congratulations Dan :). Those little guys are going to look awesome

dmexotics

Arachnopeon
2i amazonica

Well, these little guys have now made it to 2nd instar and actually look like little Avics finally. I lost a bunch at this stage but from what I have heard this is normal as Avics can sometimes be difficult to get past this stage. I have a wonderful sense of accomplishment on this one...look at this spectacular little gem!!!

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love a amazonica! they get huge! tell me they will be on sale soon ;)

dmexotics

Arachnopeon
I definitely plan on bringing some to the Pasadena show. I will also have Sing. blue slings, juvies and adults plus a limited amount of adult Ornithoctoninae sp. "Kalimantan". I am not sure if an expo is the place for any of that stuff but I'll bring a little bit of everything on Saturday and feel it out.

---------- Post added 10-22-2011 at 08:21 PM ----------

Any pictures and stats of the adults?
The female I got from a gal in Florida. She was a large juvie upon arrival and molted once and I figured I would try it. I do not think she is full grown, not even close...I can snap pics of her tomorrow. The male is still alive but is getting close to the end and is starting to weaken. He was a big one though, biggest Avic I have ever seen personally. I'm not sure on a measurement but this is him as a mm:

TVR22

Arachnopeon
I think the expo is a great place for these kinds of stuff. Gotta represent, lol. I'll shall see you that Saturday morning.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's so cool! I love avics. I can't wait to try my hand at breeding. Not sure what I'll be starting with, but I can only imagine the feeling you get opening that sac. I bet your hands were shaking...lol..I know mine would be.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's so cool! I love avics. I can't wait to try my hand at breeding. Not sure what I'll be starting with, but I can only imagine the feeling you get opening that sac. I bet your hands were shaking...lol..I know mine would be.
Avic's are the best!