Avicularia juruensis

goatpiper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a T that I will be looking to own in the near future...I'd prefer a sling. It seems a more obscure branch of the Avic. family...and prone to mislabeling. From what I've read, A.juruensis is the appropriate name, though A.aurantiaca and A.magdalenae have been used...it's interesting, because I've found sites that have pix of BOTH A.juruensis and A.aurantiaca, and they look different...is this just a mistake? What I do know is that the pix of A.juruensis I've seen are beautiful...I have a weakness for the Avics, and this one is a beautiful specimen. I have three Avics now...metallica, avicularia and versi. The juruensis will be my last acquisition in that category.

How difficult will it be for me to find an A.juruensis sling?

gp

Anansi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL Good luck!...I've been looking for that species for years...One time I thought I got lucky when I bought a T under the name "A.J." and sadly it grew up and turned out to be a acanthanoscuria jurenecola...I had an Aurantiaca for awhile, but Juruensis are so much prettier, bigger, bolder, and more docile...Chris at Krazy 8's can get in touch a with a breeder female but he can't find a male...So anyone reading this that has a male A. Juruensis drop me a line!

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aurantiaca and juruensis are believed to be taxonmicly the same,in the near future aurantiaca will be discarded!
LOL Good luck!...I've been looking for that species for years
There is loads of them here in Europe,strange the difference a few miles makes and considering they are from your side of the world aswell! LOL
I had an Aurantiaca for awhile, but Juruensis are so much prettier, bigger, bolder, and more docile
All Avic,s have the same temperment,nice and docile!
but he can't find a male
Yep same as me,
obscure branch of the Avic. family...and prone to mislabeling
I think nearly all Avicularia sp is like that,Bloody disaster!
it's interesting, because I've found sites that have pix of BOTH A.juruensis and A.aurantiaca, and they look different
Probably they are just colour morphs,
The juruensis will be my last acquisition in that category.
Try Minatrix,small but beautiful
Avicularia sp "Auarantiaca/Juruensis"

Avicularia Minatrix

goatpiper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not really into the minatrix...though they are nice. I love the juruensis...and I'm not in a rush, so I'll just keep my ear to the ground and wait for someone reputable to get their hands on one...I usually like the sling thing, but I might hold out for a guaranteed female, so I can maybe breed it in the future and help make the species more available.

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very nice :}
Martin, is the one on your pics labeld right as an A. aurantiaca?
do you know anybody in europe thats selling these right now? (in Denmark or Sweden would be nice ;) )

thanks

Anansi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
any proofs that this is the true A. juruensis sensu Mello- Leitao 1923?

all the best,
Martin

I'm be willing to take taxonomy acknowledged by Rick West over 99 percent of other people in the hobby/ discipline...

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL Ok your telling me that this "true" Juruensis...http://birdspiders.com/index.cfm?fu...4DE4FEE33E61538

...looks anything like this?

http://www.e-spiderworld.com/galler...0aurantiaca.htm
I Believe Rick also believes that these are taxonmicly the same,you should email him yourself and he might explain!
Since when do we say tarantulas are practically the same based on color?
If you knew martin at all you would know he is first person to say that a spider cannot be identifed by a picture, But like alot of spiders there are some small distinctive features that can be use from a picture to help the process!And the rings around the legs i believe to be one of these features!
I don't know if this (or most other Avicularia species – the genus is IMO a bit "messy") is the correct species, but I could IMAGINE, since the one on this photo has these orange-yellowish ring at the lower end of the metatarsus BAUER is talking about in his description, that this MIGHT be the A. aurantiaca sensu BAUER.
...wondering if the "A. juruensis" in the US pet trade have also these orange-yellowish rings and if the A. juruensis sensu Mello-Leitão does. Anybody knows?
Here in Europe I have also seen Avics sold as "A. aurantiaca" without these yellowish rings. I could IMAGINE that the confusion comes from the pet trade (once again) that they have sold specimens without the orange-yellowish rings in the US pet trade labelled as "A. aurantiaca" and someone said "hey this looks exactly like "A. juruensis" and so must be the same species – these damn european morons have once again described a species which has been already described". ...or does anybody of those who claims A. aurantiaca and A. juruensis are one and the same species has every compared the two holotypes? Or do they just have compared the pet trade material to come up with this assumption?
You,ve hit the nail on the head martin!;-)

and last,what does phaenotypes mean exactly!