Avicularia Avicularia Breeding Fail

Should I cohabitate my male and femal?

• Yes, he’ll probably die soon anyways.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No, you should reintroduce them and cross your fingers.

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
My male matured roughly 153 days ago. I received my female and they were introduced 95 days ago. It looked to be successful. He was able to get it in for a couple minutes. She still hasn’t laid a sac so I assume that she isn’t going to. I still have my male and I was considering just cohabitating them especially since he matured so long ago that he probably doesn’t have much longer. I don’t want her to eat him of course but she has been very difficult to feed so far, so she could probably use the protein.. I definitely need to reintroduce them but since he matured so long ago I’m concerned that he isn’t very fertile. Not sure what to do at this point. It’s pretty frustrating that it didn’t take the first time.

I see the typo I made and I would fix it if I could. I know how to spell.. mostly.

cold blood

Staff member
90 days from pairing isnt enough time to say its not gonna happen.....has she gotten plumper? Have you "candled" her....you can usually get a pretty good idea if shes holding eggs doing that.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
90 days from pairing isnt enough time to say its not gonna happen.....has she gotten plumper? Have you "candled" her....you can usually get a pretty good idea if shes holding eggs doing that.
I’ve tried “candleing” her but I didn’t see anything to make me think she was gravid. Her abdomen looks round but it’s not abnormally large I don’t think. When I shined a light on her I could see it come through her carapace but not through the abdomen.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree that 90 days isn't too long.

Has the male been making sperm webs? That is how you know if he is still fertile or not. If he has been and you want to cohab them, you can. She will either eat the male or she won't. You also won't know if they have any successful pairings while you aren't watching.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
I agree that 90 days isn't too long.

Has the male been making sperm webs? That is how you know if he is still fertile or not. If he has been and you want to cohab them, you can. She will either eat the male or she won't. You also won't know if they have any successful pairings while you aren't watching.
I assume he is still making sperm webs. His cork bark tube is webbed up pretty nice on the inside. He still prowls his enclosure. I never see him make a sperm web so I wouldn’t know for sure.
Would the females eating habits change closer to her making the sac? Would she start to refuse food? She is just so difficult to feed.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I assume he is still making sperm webs. His cork bark tube is webbed up pretty nice on the inside. He still prowls his enclosure. I never see him make a sperm web so I wouldn’t know for sure.
Would the females eating habits change closer to her making the sac? Would she start to refuse food? She is just so difficult to feed.
My girls haven't refused food before laying a sac specifically, but after pairing I feed them until they are full.

What have you tried feeding her?

cold blood

Staff member
I’ve tried “candleing” her but I didn’t see anything to make me think she was gravid. Her abdomen looks round but it’s not abnormally large I don’t think. When I shined a light on her I could see it come through her carapace but not through the abdomen.
Light shouldn't come through anywhere...what you look for is the bottom of the abdomen glowing a slight yellow....I will see if I can get a pic from one of my gravid females. You want to use a small bright beam, directed only under the abdomen.
evidence of sperm webs is obvious...they leave a thick white line of web behind afterward.

cold blood

Staff member
Ok, not the easiest to get a pic of, but these should give a pretty good idea...first is regalis...second is a dorsal shot of A. metallica, last is a good one of the mets abdomen.

20181126_170354.jpg 20181126_165644.jpg 20181126_165832.jpg