avic versicolor sling setup

cold blood

Staff member
No worries. I meant to upload a pic of my enclosure also so I'll do that now. The columns of holes go all the way around from halfway up the enclosure to the top and there are three rows of holes at substrate level. As I said, it might be overkill but it's working.
It's not the clearest pic but you can see the holes and the versi who was around 0.75" DLS when this pic was taken.
I think it works because the size of the holes are pretty small. With small holes I prefer more holes to less, once they get bigger and into adult enclosures I use much less ventilation, but the vent holes are drilled at much larger size.

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
After reading these post. I might try avics again. I had a hard time keeping them. If it wasn't enough vent holes it wasn't enough humidity. Or just plain bad luck.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After reading these post. I might try avics again. I had a hard time keeping them. If it wasn't enough vent holes it wasn't enough humidity. Or just plain bad luck.
Don't give up, they are totally worth it IMO.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I think it works because the size of the holes are pretty small. With small holes I prefer more holes to less, once they get bigger and into adult enclosures I use much less ventilation, but the vent holes are drilled at much larger size.
Yeah, the sling was tiny at first so I needed small holes and a lot of them. All my tiny slings get plenty of small holes, not as much as the Avic. My bigger Ts get 2 to 3 rows of holes depending on the size. I just wasn't taking any chances with the Avic sling. Its next enclosure won't have as many as I will be able to put larger holes into it.

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you are doubting about the amount of ventilation holes . . . just double the amount you already have and as for humidity . . . forget that you ever heard of the word. Unless you live in a desert then normal room humidity will do just fine.
Just add a few drops of water direct to the webbing once a week and thats it, no spraying, misting needed.
Last year i had 5 versicolor sacs (all second generation bred by myself) and one sac this year so far (looks like another is going to be made in the next few days), all adults are kept dry with a small waterbowl and slings have water dripped directly onto their webbing once a week.

I did a small experiment a few years ago with a versicolor and humidity (or the lack of it)
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/991676-avicularia-humidity.html

Phidippuszk

Arachnopeon
If you are doubting about the amount of ventilation holes . . . just double the amount you already have and as for humidity . . . forget that you ever heard of the word. Unless you live in a desert then normal room humidity will do just fine.
Just add a few drops of water direct to the webbing once a week and thats it, no spraying, misting needed.
Last year i had 5 versicolor sacs (all second generation bred by myself) and one sac this year so far (looks like another is going to be made in the next few days), all adults are kept dry with a small waterbowl and slings have water dripped directly onto their webbing once a week.

I did a small experiment a few years ago with a versicolor and humidity (or the lack of it)
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/991676-avicularia-humidity.html
QUOTE="peterUK, post: 2441280, member: 1979"]If you are doubting about the amount of ventilation holes . . . just double the amount you already have and as for humidity . . . forget that you ever heard of the word. Unless you live in a desert then normal room humidity will do just fine.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/991676-avicularia-humidity.html[/QUOTE]
Wow, very helpful thank you.

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
I so would like to try again with your care sheet. Which I thank you for your information. I'm just so iffy on spending time and money just to lose another one or two. I like the Versicolor and Metallica. Maybe in a few months when it's a little warmer I will give it shot.