Avic Question

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Hi all I had a question concerning the A. Avics. I have bought 2 within the last... oh about a month. The first one that I bought was a 2-3" juvie. I made an enclosure similar to robc's. Maybe had a little bit more ventilation than that. I kept the humidity around the 70% range. It died with in a week of purchase. I tried to put it in an ICU with no prevail.

Then just last Friday I received 4 slings- H. Mac, P. Irminia, G aureostriata and an A. Avic. All are under 1.5" They have all been doing well and have all eaten since I received them.

Just today I was checking my Ts and the Avic was near the bottom of the enclosure. I thought oh crap I have seen this before, but it moved around a little bit. Then the next thing I knew it was in a death curl on the bottom of the tank. So now it is currently in an ICU. I should say that I had this Avic in a Michaels container with plenty of ventilation, pretty wet substrate and cork bark for climbing.

My question is after the first one I thought that it was just something that I was doing wrong, but now with 4 other Ts surviving and doing well I am wondering if maybe anyone else has had such bad luck with this species??

I have used the search and found SADS or sudden avic death syndrome, but doesn't seem like it happens all that often. Any advice would be appreciated!!!! Let me know everyones thoughts on the Subject

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what i have ben reading on the forums its not uncommon for the avic, especially the versicolor to just randomly die. i swear i have seen 3-4 post in the last 2 weeks with people describing your same story. Prefect conditions feeding, next day they are curling.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like the beginning of ASDS (Avicularia Sudden Death Syndrome).

ICU is good. Be sure to provide some water source. When I had a 3/4" sling curl up I dipped it's fangs in a cap of water and left it alone. The next day it was walking around fine. Now, she's a beautiful 4" versi. :)

Hopefully the little guy pulls through.

SpiderMama

Arachnopeon
Our first T was an A. avicularia, which is now about 3" and seems to be doing well. There ends our success story with Avics. :8o I've purchased 3 Avic slings and lost all 3 of them--2 A. versicolors and 1 A. amazonica. After the first A. versicolor died, I worked at keeping the humidity level higher in the Avic enclosures than in my other T cages, thinking that might be the problem. The other two died shortly thereafter, within a few days of each other. Both appeared to have legs caught during a molt. I'm liking my terrestrials more and more, even though my G. pulchripes has decided to become a pet hole. {D The Avics just aren't as sturdy in my care.

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I seem to have the opposite of a green thumb when it comes to these Avics. I guess some people just either have bad luck or something.
If anyone else has any advice or opinions it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I do wanna say that I did flip the tiny sling over and drop a drop or two of water on the fangs/mouth. So far been in the ICU for about 6 hours now and have seen no improvement.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A.Avic's are a very easy to keep T.I would need some more info to try to
figure out what might of went wrong.Improper ventilation is were most people
go wrong.Avic's need a good amount of ventilation.In the wild Avic's don't
drink out of a water bowl.Thay drink rain water or morning dew that collects
on there webs.Sometimes wild caught Avic's never adjust to drinking out of a
water bowl.So you need to mist there webs once a week.70% humidity is not
enough for an Avic.A.Avic is a rain forest species and are use to alot more
rain and humidity.These are just guesses because because you didn't give us
any info on how you are keeping them.70% humidity is great for Brachy's.But
it's not enough for Avic's.In the rain forest it sometimes rains for a week
without stopping and the humidity can be 95% plus for a months.We really
need more info to help.I live in south florida were the humidity 85% to 95%
every day.I know a couple of areas that have thriving populations of A.Avic's.

Last edited:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A.Avic's are a very easy to keep T.I would need some more info to try to
figure out what might of went wrong.Improper ventilation is were most people
go wrong.Avic's need a good amount of ventilation.In the wild Avic's don't
drink out of a water bowl.Thay drink rain water or morning dew that collects
on there webs.Sometimes wild caught Avic's never adjust to drinking out of a
water bowl.So you need to mist there webs once a week.70% humidity is not
enough for an Avic.A.Avic is a rain forest species and are use to alot more
rain and humidity.These are just guesses because because you didn't give us
any info on how you are keeping them.70% humidity is great for Brachy's.But
it's not enough for Avic's.In the rain forest it sometimes rains for a week
without stopping and the humidity can be 95% plus for a months.We really
need more info to help.I live in south florida were the humidity 85% to 95%
every day.I know a couple of areas that have thriving populations of A.Avic's.
And what if they have no web? I get your point but mine has yet to build any sort of web so I mist the side of the enclosure 1-2 times a week and have a bowl. I've seen my A. avic drinking from the bowl one time so I guess I'm lucky.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am sorry for your losses..
and just wanted to mention that this-

I should say that I had this Avic in a Michaels container with plenty of ventilation, pretty wet substrate and cork bark for climbing.
is not necessary...
moist substrate and a water dish as wide as possible for the enclosure
work well.
If 'pretty wet' means swamp-like, it isn't necessary or advised..

Best of luck. :)