Avic. Purpurea or Avic. Versicolor

whitehaze2008

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would definatly go with versicolor as they are easier to keep alive than the purples...or so i have read.
Use stretched panty hose for the top of the jar or enclosure to ensure good ventilation.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I see lots of posts about how delicate versi slings are. I've raised many, and have always found them to be hardy and easily raised as long as a moist paper towel is kept in their deli cup. Couldn't be easier to deal with IMO.

Jim

chandlermonster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pantyhose sounds like a great solution to the ventilation problem. I don't know why I've never thought of that!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Frankly I haven't found them to be sensitive enough to worry about it. I've always kept them in a deli cup with just a few small holes in the side, and a damp paper towel.

julesee

Arachnopeon
Versicolors are awesome, they are pretty fast growers in my experience too. But if you have a chance to get a purpurea, i would do that. purpureas are not something you see everyday, whereas the versicolor is a classic that just about everyone owns. I've been dying to find a purpurea!

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i bought an avic..not sure what kind.
its just a black spider with orange feet..about 4 inches
not a pretty spider by any means..nor an interesting one.
it just sits there..i hope terrestrial species have a bit more personality/activity level..

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure what you're expecting your spider to do. Spiders do not have much "personality", as it were. Terrestrial species generally burrow, and you don't see them much at all...if kept correctly anyway.

oOINOVAIOo

Arachnopeon
I'm really looking forward to getting a versicolor. Purpurea's are too expensive it seems and rare. Maybe when I have a bit more spending cash, I'll slip around to getting one. :)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not sure what you're expecting your spider to do. Spiders do not have much "personality", as it were. Terrestrial species generally burrow, and you don't see them much at all...if kept correctly anyway.
most everyone reporting on their tarantulas seem the think theirs have a personality, or report that they see them doing stuff.[like eating, defensive moves,posturing, etc.
mine just sits there.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
most everyone reporting on their tarantulas seem the think theirs have a personality, or report that they see them doing stuff.[like eating, defensive moves,posturing, etc.
mine just sits there.
I think people that think a spider has personality are seriously reaching, or else they haven't kept an animal that truly does have personality.

Eating is something all spiders do, and doesn't convey any sort of personality. Defensive posturing is something aggressive spiders do when you mess with them. That's not personality, that's them saving themselves from becoming a meal.
Everything else that I've kept, dogs, cats, fish, birds, reptiles, all vary in the amount of personality, and some have it in droves, but compared to these things, even many fish and lizards, spiders don't even blip the needle.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think people that think a spider has personality are seriously reaching, or else they haven't kept an animal that truly does have personality.

Eating is something all spiders do, and doesn't convey any sort of personality. Defensive posturing is something aggressive spiders do when you mess with them. That's not personality, that's them saving themselves from becoming a meal.
Everything else that I've kept, dogs, cats, fish, birds, reptiles, all vary in the amount of personality, and some have it in droves, but compared to these things, even many fish and lizards, spiders don't even blip the needle.
I like the way you think. D:

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I think that "personality" is the word that is used for lack of a better term. For example... We have 2 L. parahybana. When you reach into one tank, the thing leaps onto your hand and bites the crap out of it. When you reach into the tank of the other, it runs. Well, for lack of a better term, some folks use the word personality to describe the 1st T as very aggressive while the other would be described as timid.

We have to admit that given 10 T's of the same species, there will be varying results when plugged into the scenario above. Some folks would describe those differing results as T's having varying personalities.

I think its just semantics and isn't something to really "split hairs" about.

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why decide between them, get the two of them when the opportunity arises.

oOINOVAIOo

Arachnopeon
Because unfortunately, I'm not related in anyway shape or form to King Midas, so I can't turn stuff into gold to make money. xD When I get paid, I might snag both. We'll see.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
both should cost around 85$ shipped depending on who you get them from. i've seen purpurea for 40$, and avic versi usually go 20-25$.

i'd have to agree with P novak, versi are way cooler.

if i were you, i'd look for Avic geroldi more than A purpurea, avic geroldi are nice. i just got through selling off most of my avics though, except for my mating pairs of Avic sp peru purple.

just keep your eyes peeled and you'll eventually come to the conclusion as to which one you want :)

.dan

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi mr. I would recommend you the a versicolor.. look this beauty

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Versicolor all the way... Every T collection should have one.

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, I didn't mean buy them at the same time, get one of them when you find one at a good price, and then the other later.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A. versi are probably harder to care for as slings than other avics.. they're fragile til they get out of their blue phase. They need very good ventilation and air flow, more so than humidity (which is needed also!)

Purpurea slings are so cute :D Little grey balls of fluff lol Then obviously versi are blue as slings.
Here's some pics of my versi growing up :)

Then his/her first moult into adult colours:

Haven't got any pics of my purps yet..