Avic in poor conditions

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
Today I saw an ad on craigslist for a 2 inch pink toe. It was $30 and came with the "enclosure". I already own an avic but once I saw the pictures in the ad for it I immediately called them, scheduled a meet, and bought it.

It was being kept in a critter keeper with what seems to be slightly damp zoo med creatures soil and then a patch of bone dry coco fiber. Then it had a water dish with a sponge, and that's it... no cork, no hide of any kind, and not even a fake plant.
dwfffwrr.jpg

Once I got it home I set him up in an AMAC that I drilled some holes into with half a cork round, moist coco fiber, a fake plant, and some sphagnum.
feggddsf.jpg

When I got it because it didn't have a hide it stayed in the top corner of the critter keeper and didn't move once. I just used my hand to gently remove it from its old "enclosure" and put it in it's the new one. It seems fine overall, doesn't appear dehydrated and the previous owner said they fed it once a week. The poor little thing does seem to be in pre-molt tho as it's abdomen is quite big.
asdfwwrr.jpg

I'm assuming it's just a normal avic by it's coloration. The previous owner only knew its common name and said they bought it from an exotic's store.
EDIT: It is an Avicularia variegata (ex amizonica)

Later this evening or tomorrow I will attempt to feed it but I highly doubt it will take food considering it's in pre-molt. In the end, it seems fine now and has just been exploring its new enclosure. If anything happens I will update this thread. I just wish people wouldn't buy animals they don't know how to properly care for.

Last edited:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Rescue mission complete! Plus, it doesn’t appear you will have to do any nursing, as you stated it looks in good shape. Fine job, Sir.

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
Rescue mission complete! Plus, it doesn’t appear you will have to do any nursing, as you stated it looks in good shape. Fine job, Sir.
Thank you, I'm just glad the little guy is out of those awful conditions.

Update: he started webbing and has been cleaning himself for quite some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

disentomb

c u r s e d
Wow - what a home upgrade! Clear to hear the rescue was successful! The original enclosure looks so miserable :( Enjoy your new friend!

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty sure it's a juv purpurea :troll::troll::troll:
Oh must be :smug:

Update on this little guy

As presumed before and the lack of feeding response it was indeed in pre-molt
It finally molted during the night
image0.jpg
You can see how fresh it is so sorry for the bad photo, don't want to disturb it by moving the enclosure.

In a week or so once it's hardened I will offer it a meal. It would be the first meal with me.
I will try to get some good pictures for a potential ID as I'm still not quite sure and not very familiar with avic morphs
As well as potentially sex it if the molt isn't in bad condition, afraid it might be too small though.

Excited to see he's made it thru everything in my care despite it's previous conditions.
Will keep the thread updated

Last edited by a moderator:

Lolth62

Arachnosquire
Looks like mine which is an A. avicularia morph 1, but i am new so could be wrong

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Update on this little guy

As presumed before and the lack of feeding response it was indeed in pre-molt
It finally molted during the night
View attachment 319630
You can see how fresh it is so sorry for the bad photo, don't want to disturb it by moving the enclosure.

In a week or so once it's hardened I will offer it a meal. It would be the first meal with me.
I will try to get some good pictures for a potential ID as I'm still not quite sure and not very familiar with avic morphs
As well as potentially sex it if the molt isn't in bad condition, afraid it might be too small though.

Excited to see he's made it thru everything in my care despite it's previous conditions.
Will keep the thread updated

You feed when the fangs are black. That's the ONLY time to start feeding it- not some arbitrary time related to exoskeleton hardening. Even then they don't always take food right away.

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
You feed when the fangs are black. That's the ONLY time to start feeding it- not some arbitrary time related to exoskeleton hardening. Even then they don't always take food right away.
I'm well aware, that's just an estimated time of when I think it's fangs will be hardened and I will offer it a meal.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm well aware, that's just an estimated time of when I think it's fangs will be hardened and I will offer it a meal.

Jst wanted to make sure, some people don't know that. I saw the hardened part and realized it could go either way.

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
Understandable, probably would have helped to mention fangs in my message but I assumed people knew what I meant.

cold blood

Staff member
You need more plant clutter, and it should be elevated, surrounding the top of the wood....there should be no plants at ground level as they will only serve as hiding spots for feeders.

Good save btw.

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
Update I noticed its fangs were completely hardened today so I offered it a meal, and it took it.
After it finished eating it got an unexpected rehouse as I noticed some mold caused by some old dried stuff on the cork. It was all on the same piece I bought and broke apart to use in different enclosures. Even though cork is pretty mold-resistant, it started on every piece I used in other enclosures. Such a waste wish I realized it before I bought it.
asdwdsdwdsdwdsdwfffgsd.jpg
You can see whatever it is on a piece of it I hadn't used yet, I'm assuming some type of old lichen or mold that caused a jumpstart when it got damp.
Funny you should mention that @cold blood I actually did just that aha
Those little aquarium plants were all I had at the time, but I took a trip to my local shop today for some supplies and got a plant to break apart and use in various enclosures.
adsfqwggdf.jpg
Just hot glued some pieces onto it
Looks like this little guy is doing well and I'm assuming he is an avicularia m6 or m1 after everyone else's opinion. I don't specialize with avic morphs so I can't be 100% certain,
nor is it very easy at this stage sometimes to get a proper ID.
image0.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
it got an unexpected rehouse as I noticed some mold
A little mold isn't cause for re house...just let it run its course, it wont effect the t unless it takes over. A little mold on wood after a re house isn't all that uncommon....it generally just goes away.

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
A little mold isn't cause for re house...just let it run its course, it wont effect the t unless it takes over. A little mold on wood after a re house isn't all that uncommon....it generally just goes away.
I personally don't like mold in my enclosures. It was covering a majority on the cork I had in there, so I cleaned it out before it potentially got worse.