1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avic in poor conditions

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by undeaddeaths, Aug 15, 2019.

1. undeaddeaths

undeaddeaths Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Today I saw an ad on craigslist for a 2 inch pink toe. It was $30 and came with the "enclosure". I already own an avic but once I saw the pictures in the ad for it I immediately called them, scheduled a meet, and bought it.

It was being kept in a critter keeper with what seems to be slightly damp zoo med creatures soil and then a patch of bone dry coco fiber. Then it had a water dish with a sponge, and that's it... no cork, no hide of any kind, and not even a fake plant.
    dwfffwrr.jpg

Once I got it home I set him up in an AMAC that I drilled some holes into with half a cork round, moist coco fiber, a fake plant, and some sphagnum.
    feggddsf.jpg

When I got it because it didn't have a hide it stayed in the top corner of the critter keeper and didn't move once. I just used my hand to gently remove it from its old "enclosure" and put it in it's the new one. It seems fine overall, doesn't appear dehydrated and the previous owner said they fed it once a week. The poor little thing does seem to be in pre-molt tho as it's abdomen is quite big.
    asdfwwrr.jpg

I'm assuming it's just a normal avic by it's coloration. The previous owner only knew its common name and said they bought it from an exotic's store.
    EDIT: It is an Avicularia variegata (ex amizonica)

Later this evening or tomorrow I will attempt to feed it but I highly doubt it will take food considering it's in pre-molt. In the end, it seems fine now and has just been exploring its new enclosure. If anything happens I will update this thread. I just wish people wouldn't buy animals they don't know how to properly care for.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Award Award x 2
  2. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Dixie
    Rescue mission complete! Plus, it doesn’t appear you will have to do any nursing, as you stated it looks in good shape. Fine job, Sir.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. undeaddeaths

Thank you, I'm just glad the little guy is out of those awful conditions.

Update: he started webbing and has been cleaning himself for quite some time.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

No it isn't, A. variegata develop distinctive white banding on the legs and have much lighter toes (almost white) by 2"

17458215_1651925598154206_2347172391211233448_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. disentomb

disentomb c u r s e d Arachnosupporter

LI, NY
    Wow - what a home upgrade! Clear to hear the rescue was successful! The original enclosure looks so miserable :( Enjoy your new friend!

• Like Like x 1
  6. undeaddeaths

I don't really know avic morphs so then I don't really have a clue other than potentially a. metallica

7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Most likely A. avicularia M1 or A. avicularia M6 (ex metallica)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I'm pretty sure it's a juv purpurea :troll::troll::troll:

9. undeaddeaths

Oh must be :smug: