Avic Enclosure advice

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
If you are looking for an enclosure for an avic sling Id recommend you use a 32oz delicup being that its tall. In addition have a piece of bark for it to climb on. Ventilation is also key and quite simple. Put holes all around the top rim and the base of where your substrate ends

mistertim

Arachnobaron
well as it turns out, the slings i was thinking about, are only 1-2cm so i feel like even this container might be too big for them.
Hm. Yeah, in that case you're possibly better off with something like a 50 dram pill vial. Though it would still probably be fine in a 32 oz deli.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm a perma-klutz so I always plan my ventilation on the assumption that I'm going to spill the water dish or miss with the syringe. I actually have an avic container at the moment that I am going to have to change out. The best means of checking cross ventilation that I have come across is to wet the substrate and close the container for three or four days. When you open it after that if it smells damp and is noticeably more humid within the container it needs more cross ventilation for an avic. Believe me when I say that you will be able to easily notice the difference between a container with good ventilation and one without.

cold blood

Staff member
Hm. Yeah, in that case you're possibly better off with something like a 50 dram pill vial. Though it would still probably be fine in a 32 oz deli.
Vial for an avic?? I wouldn't recommend that unless you were a skilled keeper with lots of experience.....use a deli cup.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Vial for an avic?? I wouldn't recommend that unless you were a skilled keeper with lots of experience.....use a deli cup.
Yeah i dont like the idea of using a vial....xD i think ill stick with the 16oz cup for now, but ill make sure to change out some moss for wood.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Fair point. Besides, it would only be in there for probably one molt before it was ready to be upgraded. I'd still go with a taller 32 oz but the 16 oz should work.

kooky

Arachnosquire
20160815_180954[1].jpg 20160815_180958[1].jpg So i found some dead branches and baked them in the oven. I wedged some moss between the branches so they can climb across the whole thing if they want. Not sure if its too clustered now or not xd. any more advice?

kooky

Arachnosquire
hmm i think i have a problem now, i opened the lid of the cup to check how it was doing this morning, i tipped the water over so ill have to change the substrate now its all wet. But i noticed a burnt smell coming from the wood i baked in the oven yesterday, it was noticeable when i opened the lid, but i have no idea if that will impact an avic sling if i put it in there. Would i be better just to use something else, and just to confirm a bottle cap with water is enough for humidity right. i remember reading somewhere that misting them shouldn't be needed?

kooky

Arachnosquire
20160816_180102[1].jpg 20160816_175854[1].jpg 20160816_175701[1].jpg ok so i think i have finalised on the enclosure. I finally found some wood that was flat and thick enough to give a solid footing for an avic. I put some moss around the wood as well, with the water as far away from the moss as i can get. Its a 16oz deli cup. the only thing im worried about is the wood, it isn't glued or anything in place and im a bit concerned it might fall over and squish an unsuspecting avic. Should i glue it down or just leave it?

cold blood

Staff member
That's an improved set up.

I've never once, and doubt I ever will, glue anything in place in any t enclosure...nothing wrong with doing so, its just not necessary in enclosures like this...leaned is just fine.

If you tip the water, you can just let it dry out.

A water dish is enough, but a little occasional moisture in the sub isn't going to be a killer unless you live in an extremely humid place and don't have enough ventilation.

As for misting, wait till the t makes a web, then you can, either weekly or every other week, lightly, and I mean lightly very literally, mist the webbing...this is for convenient drinking as some just don't like to leave their web tubes.

kooky

Arachnosquire
That's an improved set up.

I've never once, and doubt I ever will, glue anything in place in any t enclosure...nothing wrong with doing so, its just not necessary in enclosures like this...leaned is just fine.

If you tip the water, you can just let it dry out.

A water dish is enough, but a little occasional moisture in the sub isn't going to be a killer unless you live in an extremely humid place and don't have enough ventilation.

As for misting, wait till the t makes a web, then you can, either weekly or every other week, lightly, and I mean lightly very literally, mist the webbing...this is for convenient drinking as some just don't like to leave their web tubes.
Thanks, for the help, im pretty sure i have enough ventilation. I want to put more holes in, because they are small holes, but i might just keep and eye on it and add more holes if i see condensation etc on the walls. Ill stick with the water dish, at least until it webs. Im actually visiting my friend tonight who has a.versicolour slings so if i get one ill give an update. Thanks for the help :)

Last edited: