1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avic. Avic. Puking? Eating its Poop?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by CyclingSam, Jan 11, 2017.

1. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Anyone seen this Avic. behavior? Should I be concerned. She has some white substance (might be poop) on her mouth. Her little mouth muscles are sucking/moving and it looks like it is coming out. This Avic. is about 3.5 to 4 inches DLS. It is active, though does not web much. It ate a large cricket this week, about 4 days ago. Any thoughts? Sorry about the pic quality. Its the best I could do. 20170111_203636.jpg

2. Cassiusstein

Cassiusstein Arachnosquire

I don't have much experience with mites, so don't quote me, but white substance on the mouth sounds like mites. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to point out exactly what it is, but ad far as I know mites are treatable. Mites may not even be the correct term. Hopefully someone gets in here soon.

3. G. pulchra

G. pulchra Arachnogod Old Timer

Yes, you should be concerned. Is it possible to get a clearer picture?

4. CEC

CEC Arachnolord Arachnosupporter

MN-USA
    I believe you mean nematodes not mites. Mites accumulate around the chelicerae and carapace. Nematodes (worms) are found around the mouth.

From what I can see, this is normal regurgitation or maybe even poop. Nothing too worry about. I've seen my Avics do this. The OP is one of many hobbyists to start a thread expressing their concern over finding this. These threads are rarely confirmed as nematodes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cassiusstein

Cassiusstein Arachnosquire

Yes I did mean Nematodes, thank you. Although this seems strange to me, I've never seen it in any of my Avics. Perhaps it's just a bit of leftover cricket?

6. G. pulchra

G. pulchra Arachnogod Old Timer

We all are guessing without a clearer picture.

7. AmberDawnDays

AmberDawnDays Arachnoknight Active Member

I thought there was no cure for nematodes. I'm not saying that's what this avic has, I'm just trying to clarify for my own understanding of nematodes.

8. CEC

MN-USA
    Could be... I rarely witness it, even with all my Avics. There are many reasons why it goes unnoticed... Hard to see that behavior through webbing, for one.

9. CEC

MN-USA
    There's currently no treatment that I'm aware of. Luckily they are quite rare. I would assume it's even less likely to have an infestation in captive bred specimens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnosquire

It worked a piece out and left it on the side of her enclosure. it still looks like some is down in her throat though.

11. AmberDawnDays

AmberDawnDays Arachnoknight Active Member

Pics, please. The pics really do help. Otherwise help will be limited, if at all.

12. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnosquire

I managed to tear myself away from Skyrim to get this pic of Pinkie's creation. This is the best I could get. 20170111_220554.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnosquire

Looks a bit like a tonsil stone... I did not dare squish it and smell it though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. BobBarley

BobBarley Arachnoprince Active Member

Looks like poop to me... something similar has happened to my Avic before, a face full of poop, albeit a little less than yours. I seriously doubt it's anything to be concerned over.

15. CEC

MN-USA
    Yep, not nematodes... Nothing to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Abyss

Abyss Arachnoknight

"Move along people, nothing to see here"
    Hahahahaha couldnt help it

• Funny Funny x 1