Avic avic personalities

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Prior to purchasing my first tarantula a couple of months ago, I researched people's experience with certain species. A couple of weeks ago, I added an Avic avic to my quickly growing collection. I hear people raving about the gentleness of these spiders, and many saying they are their most handleable tarantula.

I know that things very from tarantula to tarantula, but in taking our Avic avic out for the first time this weekend, she wanting NOTHING to do with us. She wasn't aggressive at all, but probably would have leapt to her death if we had not been holding her an inch or so over a towel-lined bathtub. Granted, our rosea will walk away from our hand, but if prodded, will walk on without a problem. Once on us, the rosea, smithi, and chalcodes all "chill out". The avic, however, just wanted to get away!!

When I see this species recommended for beginners that may want something handleable, I wonder "why?" But there have got to be other Avic avics out there with different personalities. For now, I don't see handling her in the future, unless for change cleanings. I just don't want to freak her out if this is going to be her reaction each time I pop in to say a quick hello.

Any advice/experience with a stand offish Avic??

Rick

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have quite a few Avic avic and other Avicularia species. Some of them are 'flighty' or nervous. I haven't found any of them that are like G. rosea for handling - just sit there. If they get nervous they will most likely jump. They are docile. Docile means that they aren't defensive not that they just sit there. I've had them run up my arm, across my shoulders and down my other arm and then repeat the process. I don't handle my Ts much except when absolutely necessary like changing enclosures. Hope this helps. :)

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Usually when people ask about a handleable tarantula, they are first told that handling is not recommended, and it is more dangerous for the spider. If someone is going to handle a T, it definately shouldnt be a beginner to the hobby. The most docile of tarantulas can get freaked out and bite.
Avic avic is often skittish, occasionally showing agression, however some hobbyists are capable of handling their docile specimens, but that is not the rule. It depends on the individual spider.

An example would be that I can always predict my P.murinus to threat pose, but I cant always predict my G.rosea, who recently turned agressive.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It would also depend on what species you are comparing the avic to. A "skittsh" move from an avic's point of view is a jump one way or another, but you can at least catch it as it doesn't go too far. On the other hand a skittish Psalmopoeus for example (not labeled "docile" or "beginner") would be teleporting across a room. Avics IMO are great spiders. I haven't seen any agression or defense at all. So a bit jumpy, yes. Docile? yes.

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
Avics love to leap and jump but I've never had any of mine go on the defense. My first T was an avic who surprised me one time by leaping onto my face when I was holding him. I have developed an allergy to my spiders so I rarely handle them.

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would definitely say my Avic is docile. There was not even a hint of aggression in any of her actions. It was helpful to hear that they don't have a problem sprinting up one are and down the next. It again makes me very happy we did this in a very safe, climb-free environment.

We also got to see the "poop and scoot" from our Avic. It climbed off my wife's hand, stopped..."squirt"...and took off again!

Rick

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awww.... i love posts like this taht just seem to give praise:)
I unfortunately only own 1 avic.... a versicolor called fluffy
Avics r absolutely fascinating spides..
always do :rolleyes: in something.
i have always held my versi, no aggression whatso ever... only once has it jumped... from 1 finger, to the next... to the next... which really made me laugh as its only a baaby:)

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awww.... i love posts like this taht just seem to give praise:)
I unfortunately only own 1 avic.... a versicolor called fluffy
Avics r absolutely fascinating spides..
always do :rolleyes: in something.
i have always held my versi, no aggression whatso ever... only once has it jumped... from 1 finger, to the next... to the next... which really made me laugh as its only a baaby:)

Catherine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got quite a few avics of various species and sizes. I have found them all to be docile, but easily startled. Mine are quick when they want to be and don't think twice about jumping. The tiny ones are funny, when i spray their containers they zoom around the sides like its a mini speedway!

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think I should try spending a little more time interacting with my Avic avic again. Too many great stories to not try! I wish I could post some of the video we took during her first venture out of her cage! They definitely are beautiful!

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have few different species and sizes also, and I would have to agree with Catherine and everyone else, these guys are docile but skittish.

I've noticed with my avics that I can usually tell if they are going to jump, they tend to crouch and set themselves in much the same way as a cat does before it pounces, I've noticed this more in my younger avics the adults still tend to do it but its more subtle.

One word of advice when handling avics, DO NOT BREATH ON THEM {D that is guaranteed to make them take off at warp speed {D

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Handling aside, I reckon T keeping would be much bigger if more people got avics than roseys, they're so much sweeter looking and more interesting.

Of course an avics gonna jump all over the place if you get him out, cos thats their thing, sameways a pet rock terrestrials just gonna sit on your hand, cos thats their nature.
Terrestrials are boring (no pun intended) spiders. If you can live without handling your spider, an arboreal is much better in my opinion, and their tanks generally make nicer displays.

Last edited:

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
rgfx said:
Of course an avics gonna jump all over the place if you get him out, cos thats their thing, sameways a pet rock terrestrials just gonna sit on your hand, cos thats their nature.

That makes a lot of sense. I guess it is natural for people who have other pets - pets of higher intelligence (dogs, cats, rats) - to unconsiously give some of these traits to our spiders. While I know that my T's don't want to be given attention, like my dog or cat (which is why my handling of them is limited), I think we tend to pigeon hole their behavior. Using the example above, a rosea sitting on my hand and not trying to get away is seen on some level as "not minding" the experience. Therefore, a pinktoe that is trying to get away from me must be anti-social.

Thinking of it in terms of "that is just how they react" helps.

Rick

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rwfoss said:
a rosea sitting on my hand and not trying to get away is seen on some level as "not minding" the experience. Therefore, a pinktoe that is trying to get away from me must be anti-social.
You understand my thinking.
My avic is sweet and docile when he's in his tank (not if you go in his tent though) He's cool when I've got the lid up, he just keeps an eye on me, and if I disturb him, he'll gingerly saunter back indoors.
But I know if I got him out, he'd be off, under a skirting board and into a neighbours flat in seconds.(crumbling georgian building- 12' ceilings, elaborate plasterwork and countless nooks, crannies and holes- it'll be a nightmare if a T escapes!)
Don't try to handle your avic, just enjoy it for the brilliant spider it is :cool:

Last edited:

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nick_schembri said:
Usually when people ask about a handleable tarantula, they are first told that handling is not recommended, and it is more dangerous for the spider. If someone is going to handle a T, it definately shouldnt be a beginner to the hobby. The most docile of tarantulas can get freaked out and bite.
Avic avic is often skittish, occasionally showing agression, however some hobbyists are capable of handling their docile specimens, but that is not the rule. It depends on the individual spider.

An example would be that I can always predict my P.murinus to threat pose, but I cant always predict my G.rosea, who recently turned agressive.

!!your rosea turned aggressive? how long have to owned her, has she been handled alot? was she always friendly then just took on this typical female trait?
That is interesting, its made me think about mine as sometimes she up for a ''cuddle'' sometimes she's having none of it. But luckily she's never shown defence or aggresion. (yet)