Avic Avic not eating

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
So my Avic Avic molted last september, i'm pretty certain she hasn't eaten since.
She is still webbing but for the past 2 days has just been sitting on the floor. If i try to move her she does jump around but can't or won't really run away like she used to. She doesn't seem to be able to climb that well as i popped her in a tub and when i gently tipped it she was moving with it. I don't know how old she is as i bought her as an adult & we have been getting very cold weather lately, i don't know if that has affected her. She's showing no signs of wanting to eat. What can i do :(

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Can you post some pictures of the set-up and the spider, that way we can see what you're describing, thanks.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Agreed- enclosure pics and pics of the spider will help. There are a lot of things that could be going on here! It could be that the enclosure is too stuffy or not ideal for your Avic, or it could be a mature male, or....? So yeah, pictures and then hopefully you can figure out what to do to help your Avic.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
An Avic on the floor is never a good thing. When you say she jumps around, are her movements erratic?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You say she's unheated? What are the temps she has?

Likely dying. Maybe from cold if its bad, maybe just old age.

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
Can you post some pictures of the set-up and the spider, that way we can see what you're describing, thanks.
Agreed- enclosure pics and pics of the spider will help. There are a lot of things that could be going on here! It could be that the enclosure is too stuffy or not ideal for your Avic, or it could be a mature male, or....? So yeah, pictures and then hopefully you can figure out what to do to help your Avic.
An Avic on the floor is never a good thing. When you say she jumps around, are her movements erratic?
Her jumps are quite erratic and in one spot, she has even flipped her self over doing it then flipped back the right way.
I've had he/r for a year and half now. Until now she's always been at the top of the enclosure.
She's on the bark now because i was stressing her out i guess :( but she was on the floor in front of it next to her bowl before.

IMG_5384.jpg

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
You say she's unheated? What are the temps she has?

Likely dying. Maybe from cold if its bad, maybe just old age.
It's reading as 71ºF right now :( i do have a heat pad somewhere for her that i bought last winter but it wasn't needed as my room has always been on the warmer side.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Set up looks good, 71 is fine. ;)
Hope you can get a pic of the spider soon.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
It's reading as 71ºF right now :( i do have a heat pad somewhere for her that i bought last winter but it wasn't needed as my room has always been on the warmer side.
Most keepers try to aim for 70f-75f, my room stays between 68f night / 75f daytime.
A rule of thumb - If you're comfortable wearing a T-shirt where you keep your spiders then your spiders will do just fine at these temps. I hope she's doing better now, keep us up-dated, thanks.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Looks like something internal maybe. I hope it moults out fine. When was last moult?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
What is that substrate you're keeping it on? Could the enclosure be being kept too moist?

boina

Lady of the mites
The enclosure looks too wet for my taste, though it does have reasonably good ventilation. Do you spray a lot? I would stop that - no spraying/misting for Avics. The enclosure looks very nice, though.

Jumping in one spot and even falling over is not a good sign at all. Sounds like it could be a nerve problem. Did you try prekilled prey? If it has trouble coordinating its movements it may still take prekilled.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think we can rule out the possibility of it being a mature male. If it molted in September to mature, it would look in worse shape.
I'm not seeing anything strange in the video. Her abdomen is a bit small but she doesn't seem to by dehydrated.
There's not much you can do besides keeping her waterdish full and keep her quiet. Have you tried feeding smaller prey, or pre-killed?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I think we can rule out the possibility of it being a mature male. If it molted in September to mature, it would look in worse shape.
I'm not seeing anything strange in the video. Her abdomen is a bit small but she doesn't seem to by dehydrated.
There's not much you can do besides keeping her waterdish full and keep her quiet. Have you tried feeding smaller prey, or pre-killed?
Agreed - I did notice that earlier as well, how slowly she was moving as well, let's hope there's no internal injuries, as has been said try offering pre-killed prey items.

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
The enclosure looks too wet for my taste, though it does have reasonably good ventilation. Do you spray a lot? I would stop that - no spraying/misting for Avics. The enclosure looks very nice, though.

Jumping in one spot and even falling over is not a good sign at all. Sounds like it could be a nerve problem. Did you try prekilled prey? If it has trouble coordinating its movements it may still take prekilled.
I don’t usually spray often, I did today :(
How do I feed prekilled? Hold out in front of her or near the mouth?

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
My adult A. avicularia's haven't molted in almost 2 years.... keep that in mind. They both go through periods that they are lethargic and don't eat. Then out if the blue they are on a feeding frenzy. Hopefully yours will be alright.

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
It's as though she can't climb up.. which is weird because she has been doing until very recently.
I've just tried pre killed but she's not having any of it, i've also tried meal worms and some slow wax worms but she just freaks out.

I managed to get some more videos of her moving...