automatic emergency heating

matt85

Arachnopeon
winter is coming soon and a problem I haven't put enough thought into has presented itself. I lose power on a fairly regular basis where I live but I have a generator that runs all important systems in the house including the heat lamps for my P. transvaalicus. the problem im facing is what happens if the power goes out when im not home to start the generator? there are systems that will auto-start a generator and transfer your homes power but these are extremely expensive!

is there any device our there that can automatically come out in case of an emergency that will keep my pets warm until I can get home to turn on the generator? just 3-4 hours would most likely all I would need it to run for.

-matt

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
How many watts or BTUs are you talking about? There are several methods, but barring a hefty investment, only 1 comes to mind that isn't slapping fate in the face: insulation and passive thermal batteries.

I've designed a few systems. If you can give me the particulars I can steer you in the right directions.

Last edited:

matt85

Arachnopeon
ive sort of come up with a solution on my own. but my intention is something to keep a couple small tupperwear containters above 70f.

my own plan involves a rechargable jumper box i had bought for a truck i dont have any more, a thermostat, and a smaller ceramic lamp with a 75w red bulb.

1. plug the jumper box into the wall so its always charging (this is how they are meant to be stored)
2. turn on the 120v outlet on the box and plug the thermostat in and set to a temperature that would only be reached if your primary heat source fails.
3. plug the lamp into the thermostat using a bulb with the bare minimum wattage to achieve the desired temperature.

i tested this setup and it works perfectly but its unkown exactly how long the jumper box can maintain the bulb. further tests will be performed when i get a chance.

-matt

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
I think having all your animals in a well-insulated space with a heater that will Keep radiating heat even when the power is out might work.
Maybe build a simple wooden-cabinet with shelving for the animals and have a bucket or tank with a strong heater in it. The water should have enough thermal mass to keep radiating heat even after the power turns out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
winter is coming soon and a problem I haven't put enough thought into has presented itself. I lose power on a fairly regular basis where I live but I have a generator that runs all important systems in the house including the heat lamps for my P. transvaalicus. the problem im facing is what happens if the power goes out when im not home to start the generator? there are systems that will auto-start a generator and transfer your homes power but these are extremely expensive!

is there any device our there that can automatically come out in case of an emergency that will keep my pets warm until I can get home to turn on the generator? just 3-4 hours would most likely all I would need it to run for.

-matt
A universal power supply used for computers/servers will work for the animals, but it won't power a generator.