Australian Ts

JORG

Arachnopeon
i live in Australia and im keen to get some more Ts, anyone here breed them in Australia or know anyone that does? cheers

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't have a clue about Australian Theraphosidae breeders... even if I hate stuff like Facebook, let alone suggest the use of such stuff, I would 'throw' an eye on such site "activities".

Being you, however, I would directly try to WC the native Theraphosidae present in Australia. Now I don't know if, where you live, in the area you live, those are present or not... after all, Australia is huge as hell :-s

If you mean, on the other hand, non native of Australia Theraphosidae... from the little I know about I've heard of pretty strict rules.

bunniebie

Arachnopeon
oh boy, getting inverts in aus. fun times ahead, my friend.

the main deal with t's in western australia (seeing as you're in margs) is this: there are few here, and they're all in perth stores from what i can tell. perhaps call the cannington pet magic store and ask who their breeders and suppliers are, as they get slings and wc adults in. i've gotten a p. rubiseta sling and adult wc s. "platinum" from them and they've been good, healthy animals so far.

as for wild catching them, don't. besides needing a permit to legally take them out of the wild, trying to catch an old world in the wild without experience is probably a bad idea. probably a good bite opportunity. i'm also not sure of any that actually live in southwest aus, tarantulas seem to be predominantly in central and eastern australia. i could be wrong though.

they can be imported from the eastern states as long as you're willing to put in about $70 to get them across the state border ($20 fee for permit, $50 inspection fee). if you do this maybe just do one huge order of everything you ever wanted from the east, because you have to redo the permit every time you import something; or, if you have mates who also want stuff from over east, put it all on one order and split the import fee.

for eastern state suppliers "minibeast wildlife" is a solid, high quality seller, though they're a little pricier than some smaller shops. they have the instructions for wa imports on their shipping page. a few smaller sellers you'll find on facebook are "the insectory", "bug man invertebrates & more" and "james bindoff reptiles & invertebrates".

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
as for wild catching them, don't. besides needing a permit to legally take them out of the wild, trying to catch an old world in the wild without experience is probably a bad idea. probably a good bite opportunity. i'm also not sure of any that actually live in southwest aus, tarantulas seem to be predominantly in central and eastern australia. i could be wrong though.
Now now now :angelic: aside for the geographical area in question maybe a no T's one... for those that knows how to "move" and the 'how to' around T's, to WC T's is a pretty easy and not that risky task, no matter the venom/defensiveness ;)

As for permits and whatnot, hell, I guarantee you that if I was an Australian citizen (or a South African one, another nation were 'permits' 'no WC' and stuff) I would risk and WC the hell out (but not for export and else, only for my collection) using garbage excuses like Trekking, picnic or what else and hide those little containers full of T's well in the car or even hidden under my clothes, like not even Billy Hayes in Turkey with Hashish.

Sure that's breaking the law, indeed... but Christ, I'm Italian, consider this fact :)

Last edited:

bunniebie

Arachnopeon
As for permits and whatnot, hell, I guarantee you that if I was an Australian citizen (or a South African one, another nation were 'permits' 'no WC' and stuff) I would risk and WC the hell out (but not for export and else, only for my collection) using garbage excuses like Trekking, picnic or what else and hide those little containers full of T's well in the car or even hidden under my clothes, like not even Billy Hayes in Turkey with Hashish.

Sure that's breaking the law, indeed... but Christ, I'm Italian, consider this fact :)
not sure what being italian has to do with it?

regardless, probably don't encourage a 16-year old to break the law. especially when we have a number of sellers here ripe 'n' ready to sell captive-bred t's which aren't from decimated wild populations :embarrassed:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
It's legal to take a small amount Australian T's from the wild anyway as long as it's for personal use and not from national park. If you want to sell wild caught specimens you're going to need a permit to do that legally.

bunniebie

Arachnopeon
It's legal to take a small amount Australian T's from the wild anyway as long as it's for personal use and not from national park. If you want to sell wild caught specimens you're going to need a permit to do that legally.
that's queensland law yeah? not automatically applicable to western australia (you're lucky though, that's pretty relaxed). i know that you need a permit to collect for scientific purposes here, but i can't find anything on govt websites specifically about collecting for personal reasons outside of "Invertebrates cannot be taken from the wild and kept as pets." (found here)