Aussie funnel-web, not a true spider but still an arachnid ;)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I'm a happy man, kept a few "true" funnel-web species, but not this one yet :) The images are owned by Brett Kruegar, the VP of the ATA, who collected the specimen for me, I just hope the bloody thing isn't gravid ;)

And yes, a bite from this one is equal to the Sydney funnel-web :eek: So, not for the beginner :) (this post is for you Lelle ;))

Formerly from the Atrax, Hadronyche valida(legspan about 7cm):

Steve

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
love it!! looks like someone painted it!!!looks sooo great!!!cant wait till funnels are avalable here in the US

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ohhhh you killing me Steve!
Beautiul spider!! Thanks for sharing! Let me know when you can export the slings ;)

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
YEAH .... its a real Black Metal Spider ... LOL ;) (Nothing to do with the Death Metal Spikes on other species coxae - ROFL)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
YEAH .... its a real Black Metal Spider ... LOL ;)
Hi Timo,
LOL, it's already halfway to becoming a bandmember of MAYHEM, it too has killed people ;)

Steve

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Steve,

hmmm... maybe you mix somthing up. ;) MAYHEM lead singer was killed by himself and the lead guitarist was killed by the One-Man-Band BURZUM. ;)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OOPS, I thought the bass player killed the lead guitarist ;)

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
OOPS, I thought the bass player killed the lead guitarist ;)
Hi,

Varg Vikernes (man behind BURZUM) was temporarly involed in MAYHEM, but at the time of the murder, he wasnt still there.

Its a bit complicated. ;)

But if you are interessted in such stuff, lets talk in Stuttgart or you have to read this book: Lords of Chaos

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
that spider looks like death incarnate! nice....

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Yes, the whole genus is stunning!! Definately not for the beginner though, well, I would say not for anyone really, but if you're stupid enough, like I am, with an interest in all mygales, and not just the T's, these are definately a blast.

They aren't an outwardly confidant group though, not by any means. In fact, they bolt at the slightest indication of trouble, but if they're cornered or in the base of the silken sock without an escape route, look out :eek:

Strangely enough, rodents, cats and dogs are not that affected by the venom, if at all. Primates however, another ballgame. That's why the old LD50 tests on this genus don't really read too accurately in regard to human dangers. I mean they still carry a very low score, but it's still not accurate as a human toxicity factor. LD50 is really a silly test on all counts anyway, because fo this very problem, the test itself was dropped in Australia some years ago, because of the highly debatable importance of the test itself. If you want to know how venoms affect mice, then the LD50 is worth reading, LOL

Anyhow, back to the spiders, I think a lot of people aren't quite aware of the close levels of toxicity of the venom in funnel-webs compared to the mouse spiders (Missulena spp.), who are almost on par when it comes to dangerous. In my opinion, this could possibly mean the Actinopodid, Missulena tussulena, from Chile, could be one of the most venomous mygales outside of Australia (with the exception of one Hadronyche sp. in PNG).

If you guys are after seriously nasty mygales (which are often rather boring, you don't see them very often, if at all, "tanks of dirt"), that might be the one to hunt down, no more PM's for Aussie FW's,I'm not breeding them!!LOL

Steve

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice funnel web! I want to get one myself but they dont seem to be too common in the pet trade, maybe on my next trip to australia I'll try to sneak one on the plane lol

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get a Macrothele sp.

Much better then 26 hrs on a plane with a potentially lethal spider stashed where the sun doesn't shine. Flatulence might be the death of you {D

Definately worth it for a tank of dirt.:rolleyes:

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
YEAH .... its a real Black Metal Spider ... LOL ;) (Nothing to do with the Death Metal Spikes on other species coxae - ROFL)
While listening to new Keep of Kalessin album, I have to admit that I can clearly see this spider dressed in some leather/latex outfit .. :)

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very Nice Aussie Funnel Web Steve. It looks as if it has a Metallic Black Gloss Paint Job. Very cool indeed.