User Aunt Ant's Photo Thread

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Class presentation on tarantulas

Been a while since I updated, yowza!

Well, last Friday was a momentous day for me. I gave my first ever presentation about tarantulas to my friend's fourth grade class! It went really well. They were visibly excited from the moment I walked into the room "She's here! She's here!"
My friend decided on a "talk show" format; I sat up front and the four hosts next to me asked questions that the class prepared on index cards. I thought it was very efficient, rather than everyones' hands raising.
How about some pics..

I brought three of my t's in very clear acrylic boxes. That one's my female Aphonopelma Sp. "New River"

Showing her off in her box...

Then I took her out, while the kids all gasped. I brought her because she's my most reliable one for handling, not a mean or nervous bristle on her body

Notice how the kids next to me switched spots lol

So I handled her while I answered more questions. Things like "What do they eat?", "What are the hairs for?", "Can spiders ever go extinct?" etc..

I loved how interested they were. A few of the girls were a little skeeved out, but overall they were curious. They kept leaning forward to get a good look.

Here I was explaining about her regenerated leg.

I allowed them to pass around the tarantulas in their boxes so they could all get a look. The other two I brought were my B.smithi and A.versicolor.

After the questions they presented me with a book they made containing pictures they drew and facts they had learned about spiders! What a fabulous memento! {D

Then it was time for them to see what I had in my box o' molts. "Here's the shed skin from a Goliath Birdeater" "whoaaa..."
Imagine if I'd brought a live one {D

Showing off a P.regalis exuvium.

Can't recall what was in my hand here... but what a cute shot

Last looks before dismissal

Hope you enjoyed seeing these, like you were there too. :)

Thanks to my wonderful sister, for helping me transport everything, and for taking the pictures :clap:

And a HUGE thank you to Tom Patterson for donating the molts! :worship:

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's awesome that you did that:D
I love the looks on the kids faces.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool! Looks like everyone had a great time and learned a lot!

NateTheGreat

Arachnopeon
Awesome presentation! I'm sure those kids will always remember that experience!:D:D:D

There's a question I'm dying to ask though, but I don't want to seem... I'm not even sure what the right word would be. :confused::confused::confused:

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:clap::clap: Great job I would love a chance to do something like that.

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to get back to this so late.. Thanks, I was really happy to share these and glad you guys enjoyed.
Hope the opportunity comes again, it was fun!
There's a question I'm dying to ask though, but I don't want to seem... I'm not even sure what the right word would be. :confused::confused::confused:
Why're all the kids Asian? It's Chinatown baby! :D
In February I sent the class a card for Lunar New Year. I painted a watercolor of a Cyclosternum fasciatum, for Year of the Tiger. They LOVED it! I even got replies back
Here's the image. Drew it from life and I did it kinda quick, so might've screwed up the leg anatomy. Better next time

Some more pics, of real Ts
The star of that show, my Aphonopelma sp. "New River", after I first got her last year. Cell phone pics unfortunately

Cyclosternum fasciatum mature male

Arachnopeon
Nice photos and T's, like they know its photo time and stay still for the snap {D Lookin forward to get some of what you showed.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ooh, I am jealous that you have a MM C. fasciatum.. I am looking for one for my girl :)

That painting you did is amazing! :eek: