Attached

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Here is to those who are attached. Those who think of their little ones like family. My husband and I love all five of our little ones. I want to hear stories where you knew you were attached. They are amazing creatures with huge personalities! Can't wait to see your stories.

For me, Bean was the one to make me heart sick. He was late getting to me and it was particularly windy and cold. Unexpectedly cold. I was terrified he wasn't going to make it. I even called in late to work. Then I called Fed ex who said many trucks were delayed. You would think someone was going to have an actual baby. My husband and I were pacing, fidgeting, acting nervous. When we finally got the knock on the door, the Fed ex guy apologized and handed me my baby. I hugged the box close to me for a little bit, hoping to transfer some warmth maybe. It seemed so cold. After, I opened, got out his vial, and unwrapped him into the vial the seller (who I respect so much) sent for him. He climbed out so calm and brave. He was just fine and I cried. He's still tiny. Been almost a year, and isn't even an inch yet. But He's also still brave. I am so attached to all of them now, but little Bean holds that special place.

Now, I would love to know when you knew you were attached beyond collecting.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I might have an unpopular answer, but I wouldn’t say I’m ‘overly attached’ or ‘attached’ really to any of the T’s I have. Sure I’d be sad if one passed away in my collection, but seeing as I can’t interact with them at the same level as I could a dog/cat, I just can’t form that kind of attachment. I am however really interested in tarantulas as a whole. I love to learn new things about them, and that can be done by reading papers and just observing my collection for instance. I’ve traveled to other countries with one of the main purposes being was to see certain species in the wild.

DarthJaders

Arachnopeon
Today actually, I am new to owning any spiders and aquired my G. Rosea about a week ago. I've treated her very special and careful, doing hours of research to be sure I care for her propperly. I knew I cared about her. However, today, I was able to hold her. She's never been handled before as far as her previous owners knew, so I was really nervous to try. When I put my hand in the tank (gloved in case she got nervous and threw hairs) I expected to have to gently push her to my hand or not be successful at all. In no way was I going to force her. I set my hand in and she crawled right on, I didn't even have to nudge her, she just touched my hand with one likes arm, then climbed on. She sat in Palm for a minute, then started exploring my arm. I didn't move or try to lift her, small steps for a lady new to being held, but she acted right at home on me. My heart soared, and I knew she was truely my precious lil baby. I felt accepted. Not something I expected from an arachnid. I've been floating on a cloud since, and bragging all over social media lol. She's my sweet lil nommer.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I might have an unpopular answer, but I wouldn’t say I’m ‘overly attached’ or ‘attached’ really to any of the T’s I have. Sure I’d be sad if one passed away in my collection, but seeing as I can’t interact with them at the same level as I could a dog/cat, I just can’t form that kind of attachment. I am however really interested in tarantulas as a whole. I love to learn new things about them, and that can be done by reading papers and just observing my collection for instance. I’ve traveled to other countries with one of the main purposes being was to see certain species in the wild.
I get it. I do. But I have, unfortunately, formed a huge attachment to all of them. I never loved dogs and even am afraid of a few (love German Shepherd, Pit Bull, Husky, St Bernard... afraid of Chawawa, Min Pin, Palms... weird, I know). Cats are cats. Our cat wants to kill all humans except for us... because we are on to her. Plenty of treats. Lives can be saved, people! Treats are the answer!

Minty

@londontarantulas
Today actually, I am new to owning any spiders and aquired my G. Rosea about a week ago. I've treated her very special and careful, doing hours of research to be sure I care for her propperly. I knew I cared about her. However, today, I was able to hold her. She's never been handled before as far as her previous owners knew, so I was really nervous to try. When I put my hand in the tank (gloved in case she got nervous and threw hairs) I expected to have to gently push her to my hand or not be successful at all. In no way was I going to force her. I set my hand in and she crawled right on, I didn't even have to nudge her, she just touched my hand with one likes arm, then climbed on. She sat in Palm for a minute, then started exploring my arm. I didn't move or try to lift her, small steps for a lady new to being held, but she acted right at home on me. My heart soared, and I knew she was truely my precious lil baby. I felt accepted. Not something I expected from an arachnid. I've been floating on a cloud since, and bragging all over social media lol. She's my sweet lil nommer.
I don’t mean this to sound harsh, but you weren’t accepted, you were briefly tolerated, at best. You’re anthropomorphising your tarantula, this is a bad idea. Handling is a bad idea.

Your tarantula has no feelings like a human does. You are only ever going to appear like a predator to your tarantula. Tarantulas are unpredictable and will bite if they need to. If you drop her, she could be hurt or killed.

Tarantulas do not get used to handling, nor do they remember you.

fleetwoodmcc

Arachnopeon
I am interested in their behavior, their habitats, their lifestyles, and I would be really mad and upset if they died, but I'm not really attached to any of them. Its sort of callous to say, but they don't have personalities, they don't even know what I am, so I really don't bond with them or anything. I don't name them, I don't handle them, and I try to stay away from anthropomorphising them. They fascinate me, and I love observing their behaviors. But they're not really my pets, and I have no particular bond with them.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I’ll add that I feel no significant emotional attachment to them either. I love keeping and observing them, I get a lot of enjoyment from caring for them, I’m sad when one dies, but there isn’t a bond.

On the other hand, when my dog dies I guarantee I’ll be depressed for a significant period of time.

DarthJaders

Arachnopeon
I don’t mean this to sound harsh, but you weren’t accepted, you were briefly tolerated, at best. You’re anthropomorphising your tarantula, this is a bad idea. Handling is a bad idea.

Your tarantula has no feelings like a human does. You are only ever going to appear like a predator to your tarantula. Tarantulas are unpredictable and will bite if they need to. If you drop her, she could be hurt or killed.

Tarantulas do not get used to handling, nor do they remember you.
Yes, I am aware that there isn't anything there, but that's how it felt. That's all. You don't sound harsh, I get it. I in no way expect her to ever want to be handled (but I'm going to at times. I know to never lift her above anything but deep substrate and no more than a a few inches up, and keep it uncommon as it stresses them), nor do I think she "likes" me, but the situation made me happy so I was sharing my feelings about it in response to posted question. Thanks for the advice. I am aware.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
There is something about raising an animal from a tiny little speck into a healthy adult that makes me feel some kind of bond with them, regardless of their indifference to me. While I like them all, I feel more attached to the ones that I've raised up from little slings because I've been there for their whole journey through life. It's not at the same level as it is with a dog, llama, alpaca or sheep, but it is there. I know that my Ts don't care about me whatsoever, and I'm fine with that.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I am interested in their behavior, their habitats, their lifestyles, and I would be really mad and upset if they died, but I'm not really attached to any of them. Its sort of callous to say, but they don't have personalities, they don't even know what I am, so I really don't bond with them or anything. I don't name them, I don't handle them, and I try to stay away from anthropomorphising them. They fascinate me, and I love observing their behaviors. But they're not really my pets, and I have no particular bond with them.
I kind of (ready for backlash) disagree. They do indeed have personalities. I've personally seen their different personalities. My husband's grandmother (hope none of you ever meet this Spanish spit fire) would say the same. Spiders are her favorite animal. I understand the difference of opinion. I just don't share it.

There is something about raising an animal from a tiny little speck into a healthy adult that makes me feel some kind of bond with them, regardless of their indifference to me. While I like them all, I feel more attached to the ones that I've raised up from little slings because I've been there for their whole journey through life. It's not at the same level as it is with a dog, llama, alpaca or sheep, but it is there. I know that my Ts don't care about me whatsoever, and I'm fine with that.
This! I agree. The little ones depend on us so much. How can we not develop love.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BanishedSeraphi

No personalities? Yeah same as babies or cats n dogs or fps, mmo, moba, rts, board games... or run on sentences. They're all the same. They eat, poop, drink, and live. Kinda like u. We really wish you had a personality. It would be better than dealing with an... what's that word again...

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
No personalities? Yeah same as babies or cats n dogs or fps, mmo, moba, rts, board games... or run on sentences. They're all the same. They eat, poop, drink, and live. Kinda like u. We really wish you had a personality. It would be better than dealing with an... what's that word again...
Not what we're talking about, but funny. Um... funny? Thank you, honey, for the laugh. Ladies and gents... My sweet hubbie!!!!

B

BanishedSeraphi

Not what we're talking about, but funny. Um... funny? Thank you, honey, for the laugh. Ladies and gents... My sweet hubbie!!!!
Baby I've never posted on ur board because it's for you. Yet, when u told me some people said they dont have their own personalities (souls to me) that's wrong. The video is meant as a joke, and a damn funny one, but the text is the real... God I wanna say antiwords as in context but I fear no one that says they dont have personalities will get it. Care for more than one of the the "same" ANYTHING tell me they're the same and I'll know you didnt care for it.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I agree totally with this. I really love seeing my Ts grow up.

I am not attached to my Ts like I am to my dogs but I do really enjoy them. I actually like that they don't require much from me, just some water, some cricks, and they all meditate with me (or I like to think they do).

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Baby I've never posted on ur board because it's for you. Yet, when u told me some people said they dont have their own personalities (souls to me) that's wrong. The video is meant as a joke, and a damn funny one, but the text is the real... God I wanna say antiwords as in context but I fear no one that says they dont have personalities will get it. Care for more than one of the the "same" ANYTHING tell me they're the same and I'll know you didnt care for it.
I get this (a little jumbled) but I get it. LOL!

Minty

@londontarantulas
Yes, I am aware that there isn't anything there, but that's how it felt. That's all. You don't sound harsh, I get it. I in no way expect her to ever want to be handled (but I'm going to at times. I know to never lift her above anything but deep substrate and no more than a a few inches up, and keep it uncommon as it stresses them), nor do I think she "likes" me, but the situation made me happy so I was sharing my feelings about it in response to posted question. Thanks for the advice. I am aware.
You’re aware it’s an unecessary risk for your pet, yet you’re going to continue to do it, and probably continue to ‘brag all over social media’ about it. I know you’re excited about your new pet but you’re being both selfish and irresponsible.

I hope you don’t end up having to post a thread like one of these:

C04EA935-B321-4BB4-8668-753487E83993.png

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
You’re aware it’s an unecessary risk for your pet, yet you’re going to continue to do it, and probably continue to ‘brag all over social media’ about it. I know you’re excited about your new pet but you’re being both selfish and irresponsible.

I hope you don’t end up having to post a thread like one of these:

View attachment 288616
Let's be safe for our babies and us. Handling is only satisfying to us, but not them. Chewy would be grumpy, Tormund and Bilbo would run away, Bean... (bad example). Leela I have seen jump a crick and come back up on glass pin wheeling and still fighting said crick. A avic, but will still watch my fingers around her.