At what size does P.Platyomma...

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
become sexualy differentiatable via coloration? When I got my P.vespertinus at 3.5" it was obvious by its coloration that it was male. So I am curious if they become decernable by sexual dimorphism at as young an age. My platy is about 2.75 and has a molt due any day now. Still has all its baby coloration and christmas tree look.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
stewartb said:
Hello,

Approx 3-3.5 "

Regards,

Stew.
It shows no sign of turning into adult coloration... and will hit probobly 3.25+ this molt. That would be a drastic change of which the likes I havent seen. In species that go through major coloration changes i.e. GBB... the changes have been very gradual.... hmmm... We shall see. But this sucker is the most vicious T I have ever seen. Even when I got it at around an inch it was and with each molt it gets more and more ruthless... cant wait for it to grow up. Sorta hope it is a male. With Pamphobs I dont complain if I get a boy.

stewartb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,

It shows no sign of turning into adult coloration... and will hit probobly 3.25+ this molt. That would be a drastic change of which the likes I havent seen.
I fear you might have misunderstood me. Males only achieve full colours at post ultimate moult. However, with a species like P. "platyomma" it is often possible to see differences in colour between juvenile males and females. I am suggesting that at around 3.5 inches it is possible to start to see this difference.

However, I am not suggesting this is a reliable method of gender determination, rather a tool for making an educated guess.

Regards,

Stew.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
stewartb said:
Hello,

I fear you might have misunderstood me. Males only achieve full colours at post ultimate moult. However, with a species like P. "platyomma" it is often possible to see differences in colour between juvenile males and females. I am suggesting that at around 3.5 inches it is possible to start to see this difference.

However, I am not suggesting this is a reliable method of gender determination, rather a tool for making an educated guess.

Regards,

Stew.

Actually some people have posted some sub adult males with amazing color. I Understand of course that the ultimate coloration does not occur until the ultimate molt.