At what point do I give up on a water dish?

radiomace

Arachnopeon
So. My A. seemanni has it out for her water dish. If it was just filling it with substrate, that would be one deal. But she consistently flips it over entirely, dumping the water out and making everything soggy, and now she insists on stuffing it against the wall and making it a part of her tunnel. If it gets moved, it gets put back. She’s even webbed it over this time. Do I just let her have it? Do I try to give her another one? Do I just drip water on the sides? I’m not sure where to go from here.
IMG_8479.jpeg

cold blood

Staff member
Give up on a water dish? just add another...and another.

This is a moisture dependent species, so you should really be keeping the sub damp, specifically the deeper substrate,

radiomace

Arachnopeon
Give up on a water dish? just add another...and another.

This is a moisture dependent species, so you should really be keeping the sub damp, specifically the deeper substrate,
Sub stays damp by me, I just worry about her making it soggy or moldy. I’ll see what happens if I let her have it and add a second, or third..

You don't
My title was mainly facetious and exasperated. I’m not going to give up on giving her water lol. I’m just not sure how to go about giving it to her when she has this tendency.

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
My title was mainly facetious and exasperated. I’m not going to give up on giving her water lol. I’m just not sure how to go about giving it to her when she has this tendency.
[/QUOTE]
I am sorry I take things on the internet too seriously at times!! lol

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
That plastic box being used as a cage is too small for the tarantula. From the picture it is obvious to me that it is trying to dig in the corner where the water cup is and the tarantula is trying its best to remove or relocate it. Rehouse the tarantula in something bigger with damp soil, start a burrow in a corner so it digs along the side and you can see it, then put in a water cup if the tarantula doesn't start digging within a week. If it starts digging immediately, just wait until it is done to put in the water cup.

Last edited:

radiomace

Arachnopeon
That plastic box being used as a cage is too small for the tarantula. From the picture it is obvious to me that it is trying to dig in the corner where the water cup is and the tarantula is trying its best to remove or relocate it. Rehouse the tarantula in something bigger with damp soil, start a burrow in a corner so it digs along the side and you can see it, then put in a water cup if the tarantula doesn't start digging within a week. If it starts digging immediately, just wait until it is done to put in the water cup.
It’s a tarantula cribs enclosure, not a plastic box being used as an enclosure. I actually downsized because her previous that I got her in was a very long but shallow plastic box and she stayed in one place in stress curl, except for once or twice dumping the water dish. I reused an old T cribs that was deeper but shorter, thinking the space was stressing her out, and yes the substrate is and stays damp as you can see in the pic from the condensation. I also originally thought she just didn’t like the corner the water dish was in so I moved it, but she moves it every night no matter where it starts, which is why I turned to here since it is something I have been troubleshooting. She has been digging and rearranging tunnels since I put her in there, and she’s just started webbing which to my understanding was a good thing. I haven’t seen her in stress pose since I rehoused her, the only thing that has been concerning is her hatred for the water dish.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I agree you don’t want to stop giving it the ability to access a water dish, and it could definitely use a rehouse and have more substrate to utilize in burrowing!

radiomace

Arachnopeon
Yeah I agree you don’t want to stop giving it the ability to access a water dish, and it could definitely use a rehouse and have more substrate to utilize in burrowing!
Since she has been digging and also just started webbing, how long should I wait for a second rehouse?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Since she has been digging and also just started webbing, how long should I wait for a second rehouse?
There’s no need to wait really, as has been stated this is a more moisture dependent species and if you rehouse it into something that allows deeper substrate that it can burrow in your tarantula will appreviate that!

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Mine did nothing for a month or so and then dug through 8 inches of substrate in one day

Move it whenever 😍

radiomace

Arachnopeon
There’s no need to wait really, as has been stated this is a more moisture dependent species and if you rehouse it into something that allows deeper substrate that it can burrow in your tarantula will appreviate that!
New enclosure ordered. I have stated twice that this sub is damp and you can even see the condensation all the way to the bottom where the burrow is, though, so please at least give me that XD

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
New enclosure ordered. I have stated twice that this sub is damp and you can even see the condensation all the way to the bottom where the burrow is, though, so please at least give me that XD
Which model ? I won’t get an acyclic until I run out of regular cages . But I do think they look well built ! And some of my screen lids need replacement. (Ran out of $)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I wasn’t necessarily imply it wasn’t, just about the species general preferences to be a bit more throurogh with the info given. If that makes sense!?

radiomace

Arachnopeon
I wasn’t necessarily imply it wasn’t, just about the species general preferences to be a bit more throurogh with the info given. If that makes sense!?
Oh no worries I get it! I just always get worried posting here, I've seen some people get jumped on pretty hard so I get nervous :')

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I have a 12x12 TCribs cube, too, and I’d recommend adding some ventilation holes to the substrate level and a row or two below with damp soil. The holes that come on it are super tiny for its size and all up high. I’ve also found that low vent holes make it easy to inject water in the bottom levels.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Oh no worries I get it! I just always get worried posting here, I've seen some people get jumped on pretty hard so I get nervous :')
I know what you mean, LOL
Just remember it's all about what's best fot the Aniimals in Your care.
Best Regards to You and Yours.

Last edited:

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
You need to get past that. It's part of life. If you don't like or appreciate someone's critique then disregard and move on. Others opinions should always be taken into account, but ultimately the end result is up to/on you.