asian forest trouble

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Greetings all. I just joined this forum. I'm having trouble with my asian forest scorpion. I've had it since Feb. When I bought it the guy told me it was around 2 years old. It seems to be getting a lot fatter lately. There is alot of grey showing between the plates. The past month, I've tried cutting down the food (crickets), but it's still getting fat. I also haven't noticed any feces in the tank for the past 3-4 weeks. It's also hiding in it's burrow with it's ass hanging out. I hope someone can give me some definitive answers. Is it just fat from over feeding, is it getting ready to molt, is it pregnant by divine methods (I don't know what sex it is)? Please help! I love my Kali. I don't want it to die. :(

Keith

Arachnopeon
I don't know much about asian forest scorpions, but if it's around 2 years old, it's probably getting ready to molt. At that age it has to molt sometime, and there's no time like the present.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Do you know that it was kept alone before you got it? Gestation is effectively around a year in this species so if it is a female kept with a male then it could be gravid. At 2 years it should not be immature, though if it was kept cold and not well fed then that may be the case.

Cheers,
Dave

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My asian forest exhibited the same mannerisms as yours, about a month later I checked in on her and her back was full of babies. I had no clue that she was female or that she was pregnant. Maybe try keeping her a little bit warmer and don't disturb her as much and maybe you'll have some little ones too.
Good luck,
Darrell.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
bman said:
Greetings all. I just joined this forum. I'm having trouble with my asian forest scorpion. I've had it since Feb. When I bought it the guy told me it was around 2 years old. It seems to be getting a lot fatter lately. There is alot of grey showing between the plates. The past month, I've tried cutting down the food (crickets), but it's still getting fat. I also haven't noticed any feces in the tank for the past 3-4 weeks. It's also hiding in it's burrow with it's ass hanging out. I hope someone can give me some definitive answers. Is it just fat from over feeding, is it getting ready to molt, is it pregnant by divine methods (I don't know what sex it is)? Please help! I love my Kali. I don't want it to die. :(
this sounds very familiar, have you posted this somewhere else before?

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've posted this question on another forum, but I got conflicting responses and started a feud between two other people (myself not included). After perusing this forum, it seemed that there was more knowledgeable people here, so I thought I'd take it to the experts. Also, the expert at the other forum, Aiden, seems to ask questions here, so I figured I'd take my problem to where the expert takes his problems.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ah yes, i remember now. well you are quite welcome here, and i don't recall, but i believe there may be some answers in here somewhere, as this is where i first read your question.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Okay, great. So we know the background. Do NOT let the conflict on the other site spill over to this one. In fact, if I hear any more about it then threads will be closed and people will be taking breaks.

Cheers,
Dave

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
<Unnecessary - skinheaddave> Thanks to all for the advice. One more question: What do I do with a pregnant asian forest scorp. and how do I care for the babies?

Last edited by a moderator:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
If you do a search of this forum you will find lots of info on caring for the young.

Cheers,
Dave