Asbestos Tarantula?

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Sounds like a boatload of crap to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found this news article about a tarantula moult found in a house in Wales and the T in question is now feared to be asbestos ridden:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ntula-be-on-the-loose-in-cardiff-8544532.html
The British tabloids will publish just about anything to draw sales. And sadly, a lot of Brits as well as the rest of the world's population fall for that drivel "hook, line, and sinker." Kornbluth's The Marching Morons in action!

Enjoy your little 8-legged scandal sheet star!

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A breeding population of G. rosea in Cardiff , Wales? That, is funny as hell.

Cydaea

Arachnosquire
I can't wait for this story to become a twisted myth/legend.... People will be telling me 'You have Tarantulas??? They can give you cancer, you know!"

Didn't I see this posted elsewhere, btw? I swear I did.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Please correct me if I am wrong. Aren't urticarious setae and asbestos fibers mechanically similar? And isn't the cancer from asbestos exposure started by the scarification caused by the asbestos fibers worming and wiggling through ones lungs? It would be very interesting to know just what happens when you breath in friable urticarious setae when one cleans out an old tank or gets haired.

And yes, the article the OP linked was rubbish but questions are not. ;)

Last edited:

vixsta

Arachnopeon
I think it's a load bull-kaka to be honest.

The press over here are absolutely rubbish and it is rather amusing that some people are actually believing this story... *sigh*

Oh well, papers will be papers :sarcasm:

Scuttlebutt

Arachnosquire
Please correct me if I am wrong. Aren't urticarious setae and asbestos fibers mechanically similar? And isn't the cancer from asbestos exposure started by the scarification caused by the asbestos fibers worming and wiggling through ones lungs? It would be very interesting to know just what happens when you breath in friable urticarious setae when one cleans out an old tank or gets haired.

If I'm not mistaken yes, the particles are so small that they can find their way into a single cell and disrupt the cell's activity. A bristle from a T is way larger though, and I don't know how friable they are. Even with asbestos it requires long term exposure from a large amount to cause cancer (Again, if I'm not mistaken. Don't quote me on any of this). This makes it even more hilarious that the amount of asbestos that potentially found its way onto the surface of a tarantula is seen as cause for concern. Asbestos aside, so much bs is in that article. A rose hair molt being described as huge, an entire crew of professionals who must see pests constantly running at the sight of what they thought was a dead spider (This I actually don't doubt, but it is still silly), a breeding population of rosies in Wales, a T doubling in size from a single molt. I'm surprised they didn't say that rose hair tarantulas cause thousands of human deaths every year with their vicious attitude and deadly necrosis-causing bites.

poisoned

Arachnodemon

Problem with asbestos fibers is that your body can't remove it. Once it's stuck in there, it's there forever. Mineral wool is more appropriate comparison. It also does similar damage, but it slowly dissolves in water and gets out of your lungs.

MichaelMacd

Arachnopeon
Seen this too, what a load of balls. Worst newspapers on earth here! They love anything to scare people. I may be wrong but I believe the daily mail was responsible for the boogy man, and monsters hiding under the bed too.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The urticating bristles of tarantulas are far too large to make it past the back of your throat, larynx, and glottis. They'd never get near your lungs. While no one that I know of has actually looked at the bristles from a toxicologists or allergist's perspective, there is a little evidence that their action is due partly to their physical presence like fine fiberglass. But, there is also an allergic reaction to something in the makeup of the bristles. It would be a great project for some budding young grad student!

Because the bristles are organic (i.e., biologically produced and carbon based), they almost surely would be attacked by our body's defense system and eventually dissolve away. Their principle long term effect is the production of scar tissue around them. Our body tries to wall them off as a defense measure. This seems to be the most important long term effect of getting them into your eye, for instance. We hear ophthalmologists talking about partial blindness, but when we start asking the tough questions, we find that this scar and/or other tissue grows around the bristle creating a tiny blind spot in our vision. You don't become a certified white-caner. And, you don't get to sit in the handicap seats on the city bus! Sorry.

Don't touch your face, and wash your hands after every time you work around your little 8-legged marvel. And, for heaven's stay, stay away from Cardiff!

:roflmao:

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
The urticating bristles of tarantulas are far too large to make it past the back of your throat, larynx, and glottis. They'd never get near your lungs. While no one that I know of has actually looked at the bristles from a toxicologists or allergist's perspective, there is a little evidence that their action is due partly to their physical presence like fine fiberglass. But, there is also an allergic reaction to something in the makeup of the bristles. It would be a great project for some budding young grad student!

Because the bristles are organic (i.e., biologically produced and carbon based), they almost surely would be attacked by our body's defense system and eventually dissolve away. Their principle long term effect is the production of scar tissue around them. Our body tries to wall them off as a defense measure. This seems to be the most important long term effect of getting them into your eye, for instance. We hear ophthalmologists talking about partial blindness, but when we start asking the tough questions, we find that this scar and/or other tissue grows around the bristle creating a tiny blind spot in our vision. You don't become a certified white-caner. And, you don't get to sit in the handicap seats on the city bus! Sorry.

Don't touch your face, and wash your hands after every time you work around your little 8-legged marvel. And, for heaven's stay, stay away from Cardiff!

:roflmao:

Thanks Stan,

It is always nice to hear from you and get feedback. I would be lying if I told you that I didn't think about long term effects of breathing in the dust from my tarantula room. I have got to the point where I don't even bother messing with my Ts that may flick hairs. I just enjoy feeding them for the most part and that is about it. I just let them be these days.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Sounds like crap to me, it's probably cause the person is afraid of spiders/just a story etc, for me doesn't make any difference, it's the same everywhere around the globe people speculate over stuff that they shouldn't.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Stan,

It is always nice to hear from you and get feedback. I would be lying if I told you that I didn't think about long term effects of breathing in the dust from my tarantula room. I have got to the point where I don't even bother messing with my Ts that may flick hairs. I just enjoy feeding them for the most part and that is about it. I just let them be these days.
I have been breathing the dust from our tarantula room for over 4 decades, and apart from a touch of emphysema, these nasty little dark "floaters" in my vision, the constant itch and rash, the little green bumps that turn gooshy and fall off, and the wheezy rasp in my voice, I'm just fine!

JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING! In fact, at age 69 I have relatively few medical problems. And, none of those I do have can be attributed to tarantula bristles! I think we're all pretty safe. If anything is gonna kill us, it won't be our spiders.

Enjoy your little 8-legged Fountains of Youth!