Article in today's news

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I could be wrong here, but I thought the Atrax robustus was the world's "deadliest" spider?

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"And, that's why he says people at Tulsa's Whole Foods market are lucky to be alive."
:rolleyes:
SERIOUSLY!
TBH

Raikiri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL check the third image.. That spider is not a Phoneutria.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By deadliest, do they mean 'most deadly venom' or 'causes most deaths'? Either way, that is cool they didn't kill it.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I seen some stats on a site somewhere and in brazil apparantly only 10% of bite victims actually die. But it does add up to about 1100 deaths a year lol and thats just in Brazil. Ill try to find the site, I might of got a link off these boards somewhere.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1100 deaths is just 10%? Holy cow.

How big is this spider? Just out of curiosity.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An update to this story was added in the news today. The university "destroyed" the spider before the Herp department at the zoo could get a look at it. But the zoo people stated they don't believe it was really a "Brazilian wandering spider." I wonder why it was killed so quickly.... Unless the university person realized that it wasn't a Phoenutria, wasn't deadly, and didn't want to look like a fool for making all of the earlier statements about people being lucky to be alive.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
FYI....

On Sunday, March 15th, a spider was found in our banana set at our Tulsa store. A produce Team Member captured the spider and sent it to Tulsa University. The university originally identified the spider as a Brazilian Wandering Spider. Since the initial discovery, an expert from the Tulsa Zoo has come forward and compared images of the spider found at the store to two different species of spider and now believes that the spider was actually a Huntsman spider, a relatively harmless species.

We take every precaution to inspect all of our produce as it arrives in the store and prior to it being merchandised on the sales floor. This incident is an extremely unusual circumstance, and one that we’ve never encountered before. We are confident that this will remain an isolated incident as we are very cautious when unpacking produce for our sales floor.
Eric

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for that quote, Eric. I assume that's from Whole Foods? Our local newspaper ran a story today that stated that the spider was destroyed due to urging from the school administration. (News station only said that the spider was destroyed, but didn't give a reason.)

Ahh, nothing riles me up more than to hear about a perfectly good specimen being killed for no reason. If I the nerve, I'd try to contact/stop by the university to find out exactly why it was killed.

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmmm deadliest spider in the world... wouldnt that actually be a sicarius ? deadly is a broad statement.. as far as most deaths well then ok the wandering spider would take it, but venom potency wouldnt that be a sicariv7

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I seen some stats on a site somewhere and in brazil apparantly only 10% of bite victims actually die. But it does add up to about 1100 deaths a year lol and thats just in Brazil. Ill try to find the site, I might of got a link off these boards somewhere.
Could you share that source? According to WCH toxinological they have a less than one percent lethality rate per untreated bite victims. I have also never heard such wild numbers in reference to spider resulted fatalities in a year.
TBH

Raikiri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've found this:

'So how dangerous are nigriventer? Deaths have occured and during the years 1926-1996 14 fatalities happened. Nowadays there are a good working serum available in Brazil that are produced on Butantan Institute in Sao Paulo.
Statistic over bites and fatalities (information provided by Rogerio Bertani, Butantan Inst.):

· State Sao Paulo …………,773 bites per year / 1 fatality in 2320 bites
· State Parana ……………..,,150 bites per year / 2 fatalities in 602 bites
· State Santa Catarina ………86 bites per year / no fatality
· State Rio Grande do Sul …218 bites per year / no fatality

Serum was used in 3,3% of the cases.'

Source: http://www.minaxtarantulas.se/artiklar/phoneutria/phoneutria_e.html

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
An update to this story was added in the news today. The university "destroyed" the spider before the Herp department at the zoo could get a look at it. But the zoo people stated they don't believe it was really a "Brazilian wandering spider." I wonder why it was killed so quickly.... Unless the university person realized that it wasn't a Phoenutria, wasn't deadly, and didn't want to look like a fool for making all of the earlier statements about people being lucky to be alive.
They're idiots...the same reason the lab wanted me to get rid of the widow spiders I keep as teaching specimens. It was all based on irrational fears...someone complained that they would infest the lab, if they got loose. I'm just thankful the director saw things from my view point.