Armadillos

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm thinking of getting a 9-banded, you know, the ones that are always getting run over in texas :} Actually would rather get a 3-banded armadillo, the smaller ones that can actually roll up into a complete ball, but they seem pretty hard to find these days. Just wondering if anyone else has/had them or if they have any funny experiences to share :D

baboon man8

Arachnopeon
sweet

they are really neat creatures. if you get a chance to breed it. i will buy/tame.:drool: :drool: :drool:

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It was either a dillo or a prehensile tailed porcupine ;) and there seems to be even less info on captive care of the porcupines than of the former!

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've always liked armadillos, they're cute as hell! Was hoping to see some out in the wild when I was in the SE USA this summer..... didn't see a single live one, but saw at least two dozen crushed on the roads. :(

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i used to find just weaned babies when i was a kid and keep them most of the summer. the little buggers eat the heck of of worms , bugs and grubs. and grow pretty good too

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i used to find just weaned babies when i was a kid and keep them most of the summer. the little buggers eat the heck of of worms , bugs and grubs. and grow pretty good too
Yeah, they seem like they're easy enough to keep, I hear you can just grab them because they adapt well to captivity and can't really bite since the few teeth that they have are way in the back of their mouths. I'd rather not have a wild caught one though, simply because of parasite issues.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i love armadillas:) i sometimes see them at night here in fla.they jump like crazy,when they see the headlights(i know they don't have the best eyesite though) and can they take off fast.awesome animals.

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went into an Asian supermarket a few months ago. They sold some, I guess for eating?

First time I ever saw one in real life lol. Too bad it was dead.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've always wanted to pet one. I wonder what they feel like. Probably rough and prickly. :D

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've always wanted to pet one. I wonder what they feel like. Probably rough and prickly. :D
My dad used to know a guy who ran "armadillo races" at a county fair in Texas. I barely remember, but I'm pretty sure I took part at least once. I remember petting the babies, anyway. They felt kind of like a hog; tough, thick hide with little bristly fuzz.

He'd put those plastic curved hairbands over the top of their backs, with flags sticking up so you could tell which armadillo won. {D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not a great idea.

1 in 6 armadillos found in Texas and Louisiana coastal marshes harbor leprosy

The disease may be completely absent among animals in better drained areas

Leprosy has evolved among armadillos by natural means and is likely present
among armadillos in similar environments in other countries
Wild armadillos (Dasypus novemcinctus) are highly endemic natural hosts of
leprosy. This sylvan infection was first identified in 1975 but its origins, range and
risks have been unclear.
not only this, but they tend to piss everywhere when you pick them up.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, they seem like they're easy enough to keep, I hear you can just grab them because they adapt well to captivity and can't really bite since the few teeth that they have are way in the back of their mouths. I'd rather not have a wild caught one though, simply because of parasite issues.
umm so you dont want one huh > lol

they taste ok, sort of greasy meat tho, BBQ they are ok still greasy but better than fried

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All you lucky people that can actually get to see them! The animals here in NI are so drab! I think if I moved to a country with exotics (having no experience with animals that could kill me being in Northern Ireland and all) I'd die as soon as I'd walk off the plane but it would probably be worth it to get even a fleeting glimpse of an armadillo. :8o

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been lucky enough to keep armadillos while a zoo keeper at Bx. Zoo.

They are very cool animals indeed...but needs lots of exercise. They also need to dig and root around alot...if you keep them inappropriately (Like on concrete) they will continue this behavior and injure themselves. They also need the proper varied diet and plenty of exercise and insects!

I highly recommend the 3 bandeds over the larger 9's.
Good luck in your search.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not a great idea.

1 in 6 armadillos found in Texas and Louisiana coastal marshes harbor leprosy

The disease may be completely absent among animals in better drained areas

Leprosy has evolved among armadillos by natural means and is likely present
among armadillos in similar environments in other countries
Wild armadillos (Dasypus novemcinctus) are highly endemic natural hosts of
leprosy. This sylvan infection was first identified in 1975 but its origins, range and
risks have been unclear.
not only this, but they tend to piss everywhere when you pick them up.
Apparently, only a small percentage of humans exposed to leprosy bacterium develop classic symptoms. The vast majority are immune. Actually, leprosy can be present in moist earth all over the tropical and temperate world. And, if you do become infected(yuck, infected), a simple penicillin shot should do the trick.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Apparently, only a small percentage of humans exposed to leprosy bacterium develop classic symptoms. The vast majority are immune. Actually, leprosy can be present in moist earth all over the tropical and temperate world. And, if you do become infected(yuck, infected), a simple penicillin shot should do the trick.
Leprosy problem solved! Plus with all the animals/human babies I'm around all the time, a little piss doesn't bother me anymore :p I'm sure somebody said tarantulas or scorpions weren't a good idea either when people first started keeping them, but did anybody listen? nooooooo and a good thing we didnt! {D But yeah, I'd rather get a 3-banded but they are so hard to find, I haven't even seen one in a zoo! As for the taste... well I wouldnt know about that!{D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is true.
not odds i want to take.
they are nervous, burrowing blind animals..they would be the worst choice for a pet anyone could make..it would be unhappy being contained.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is true.
not odds i want to take.
they are nervous, burrowing blind animals..they would be the worst choice for a pet anyone could make..it would be unhappy being contained.
Yeah, no argument there. I've seen the things in those races and whatnot and I doubt they're easily tamed. Not social at all.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, no argument there. I've seen the things in those races and whatnot and I doubt they're easily tamed. Not social at all.
no..and it's agreed that they would be cool to have, theoretically.
As would many other cool creatures..such as platypus or hyena.:razz:

seriously, if i thought they would be good pets, i would have tried it by now.
seems like i've had about everything else.:D