Arizona Blond / P.Irimania Question

cadman01

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
The more I read, I am thinking that slight aggression is better than the possibility of hairs flying. Just need to be very aware of where they are when approaching the cage.....

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
The more I read, I am thinking that slight aggression is better than the possibility of hairs flying. Just need to be very aware of where they are when approaching the cage.....
Keep reading.

I have a P. irminia but it's teeny, so my advice is mostly from reading, BUT P. irminia are supposedly one of the fastest T's period. The failed logic in saying "be very aware of where they are" is that everyone here says they teleport, and they are reportedly unpredictable as well. As in, blink (or even don't blink, they don't mind) and they are somewhere else. Their movements can be potentially faster than your eyes can reasonably track, and certainly faster than you can react.

Remember that defensiveness, because it isn't aggression, is just a part of the equation. It is the speed that I've seen listed as the primary reason these are frowned upon as a beginner species, especially a first T. When you put the combination of the defensiveness and speed together you may very well find yourself overwhelmed.

Also side note, they are pretty well known for being a pet hole you never see. I steered clear of them for that reason, but got a great deal so I decided to try one for myself. Again, full disclosure, while I own a sling most of what I am parroting is what I have read on this forum. So my advice is keep reading, lots of good info here.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
It truly depends on you. I have more new worlds than old worlds, although I have a good bit of both. I’ve been haired three times Once by a juvenile Theraphosa stirmi, once a C. cyaneopubescens, and once a L. parahybana.

Once you start keeping you’ll get to know the spiders you have to an extent, and some just flick and some don’t. With the ones that flick a lot, I wear long sleeves and gloves. Some will do it out of nowhere when they haven’t before, but from my personal collection the only ones that have tried to flick at me while I’m not rehousing, do it often. So it’s predictable behavior for the most part.

That being said, I wear long sleeves and gloves when rehousing new worlds aside from Psalmopoeus. And the times I was haired, it sucked but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. People say it gets worse if you’re exposed repeatedly though.

I keep two Aphonopelma chalcodes and my adult female flicked at me once while she was in the catch cup during rehousing. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, because unless you plan on keeping almost exclusively old worlds or only a couple Ts, you’re going to have the potential to be haired. Just consider it initiation 😆

Also, I keep a good bit of Psalmos. Pretty much at least one of every commonly available species. And my biggest issue recommending them to beginners isn’t that they’re “fast and mean”, although they can certainly be. Its more of an issue of you are not going to see it often. Especially as slings and juveniles. When I say not often, I mean I’ve seen my 4” P. irminia maybe 4 times. I’ve seen my pulcher of the same size once, when it was in a catch cup. That’s not what anyone who picks up a T wants at first, so that’s something to keep in mind.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Keep reading.

I have a P. irminia but it's teeny, so my advice is mostly from reading, BUT P. irminia are supposedly one of the fastest T's period. The failed logic in saying "be very aware of where they are" is that everyone here says they teleport, and they are reportedly unpredictable as well. As in, blink (or even don't blink, they don't mind) and they are somewhere else. Their movements can be potentially faster than your eyes can reasonably track, and certainly faster than you can react.

Remember that defensiveness, because it isn't aggression, is just a part of the equation. It is the speed that I've seen listed as the primary reason these are frowned upon as a beginner species, especially a first T. When you put the combination of the defensiveness and speed together you may very well find yourself overwhelmed.

Also side note, they are pretty well known for being a pet hole you never see. I steered clear of them for that reason, but got a great deal so I decided to try one for myself. Again, full disclosure, while I own a sling most of what I am parroting is what I have read on this forum. So my advice is keep reading, lots of good info here.
Actually from everything I've read owners of the genus Pseudoclamoris and Tapinauchenius claim are the fastest T's out of NW's and even OW's.

If anyone ask me personally my gbb is faster than my P. irminia and they are now both the same size at over 2 inches dls.

When my P. irminia gets bigger, (which won't be long) I'm sure it will be faster and give me a run for my money.

Well the fact that you are being cautious about buying a NW T is good but also shows you haven't done enough research.

Since you haven't, jumping to a P. irminia with no experience especially with rehouses you are asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
imirnia

Actually from everything I've read owners of the genus Pseudoclamris and Tapinauchenius of the fastest T's out of NW's and even OW's.

If anyone ask me personally my gbb is faster than my P. irminia and they are now both the same size at over 2 inches dls.

When my P. irminia gets bigger, (which won't be long) I'm sure it will be faster and give me a run for my money.
Yeah all Psalmopoeinae can boogie. I don’t think there’s a huge difference in t speed generally. If you put two random Ts in a race and they both bolted full speed to the finish line, the difference would probably be slight. Some are just much more likely to bolt than others, and I think that’s where the “speed” idea comes from. I’m sure new world terrestrials can run, but they may not even move if you poke them whereas a Psalmo will bolt if you look at them.

There is probably slight differences in speed. And i think arboreals may be faster than most terrestrials. But if any tarantula wants to bolt, they’re going to move faster than you can react universally.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Yeah all Psalmopoeinae can boogie. I don’t think there’s a huge difference in t speed generally. If you put two random Ts in a race and they both bolted full speed to the finish line, the difference would probably be slight. Some are just much more likely to bolt than others, and I think that’s where the “speed” idea comes from. I’m sure new world terrestrials can run, but they may not even move if you poke them whereas a Psalmo will bolt if you look at them.

There is probably slight differences in speed. And i think arboreals may be faster than most terrestrials. But if any tarantula wants to bolt, they’re going to move faster than you can react universally.
That's all relative on sizes of T's. Sub-Adults and adults is where you'll see the major differences in speed. Slings and juvies one can witness same speeds or my gbb faster than my irminia for example. While they all can take off at great speed some have the legs predominately built for warp 10 like arboreals.

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
Actually from everything I've read owners of the genus Pseudoclamoris and Tapinauchenius claim are the fastest T's out of NW's and even OW's.
I stand corrected!! I did forget about Tapi's there for a second!! :eek: Definitely the genus most often regarded as the fastest.

When I was doing research a few weeks back when I was considering picking up a Psuedoclamoris gigas I talked to a few people and that felt they were pretty on par with the Psalmos. One person thought Psalmopoeus were faster, another just said they really felt the P. gigas were the worst spiders to deal with and they hated them.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I stand corrected!! I did forget about Tapi's there for a second!! :eek: Definitely the genus most often regarded as the fastest.

When I was doing research a few weeks back when I was considering picking up a Psuedoclamoris gigas I talked to a few people and that felt they were pretty on par with the Psalmos. One person thought Psalmopoeus were faster, another just said they really felt the P. gigas were the worst spiders to deal with and they hated them.
I wouldn't say worse just challenging to rehouse due to speed of light bolting.

I don't know about temperament though. T. rasti and some others are still on my list to buy. I've read P. gigas can be defensive.

I believe it's per tarantula. They have the disposition overall but some people can wind up having one that is docile.

My P. irminia is anything but shy which worries me when it's bigger.

cadman01

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
Thank you to all who have brought up the discussion. I will be doing more research, but the Arizona Blond is sounding safer. Micoworld has 2.5 inch females available in January, so I am strongly considering one.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Thank you to all who have brought up the discussion. I will be doing more research, but the Arizona Blond is sounding safer. Micoworld has 2.5 inch females available in January, so I am strongly considering one.
I love Aphonopelmas they are a great genus. My male A. chalcodes had a truly unique temperament. Such a funny little guy. He matured last April and is still going. He only eats maybe once every 2 or 3 months, really no timetable all I know is he doesn't eat. That's a better analogy.

Wait until Portugal hears about this new spice, they're gonna colonize Brazil all over again!
Oh-oh.......here it goes again....UrS spice the hottest spice on today's market, lol.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Chalcodes can kick hairs, it is rare, and it is even more rare for it to be an issue. With my 2, one had tried it, but she is no good at it, I applaud her for the attempts because I want her to feel good

that being said, get the chalcodes, they are a great beginning T. Their speed is perfect for beginners

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I'm fairly beginnerish and I would take a slow hair kicker over a fast T any day. It is no big deal until it is time to rehouse. Mine have given me a run and none of mine are "fast" per se. They are fast to me though. If mine are not fast I cannot comprehend fast lol. I was concerned about the hairs, but I wear gloves and it doesn't bother me. And I have gotten itchy hands from forgetting, but it isn't a big deal, just annoying.