Arizona Bark Scorpion not eating?

Desert Dweller

Arachnopeon
So I recently caught this arizona bark scoprion at work, here in nevada and put it in a 1 gallon tank with sand and rocks. Problem is it hasn't eaten the small cricket I put in there, the cricket walks by and even once walked ontop of it and the scorpion didn't really do much. Would it be the scorpion has already eaten before it was caught and isn't hungry?

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful as I have not cared for one yet. Thanks!

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
OK so it usually takes about a week for a scorpion to become "comfortable" when disturbed or moved into an enclosure. They usually don't eat for a week and sometimes longer. It' absolutely nothing to worry about at this time. If you want you could post some pictures of the enclosure and the scorpion and we can give you information on setting up an appropriate enclosure and so forth. Usually scorpions don't eat if they are stressed or in premolt so first things first, lets get the enclosure set up properly. Little side note: try to leave feeders in the tank for a maximum of 24 hours, if after that time has passed and the feeder has not been eaten, remove it and try again in 2-3 days.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree, probably still settling in. Could be premolt, but hard to say without seeing the scorp.

Desert Dweller

Arachnopeon
OK so it usually takes about a week for a scorpion to become "comfortable" when disturbed or moved into an enclosure. They usually don't eat for a week and sometimes longer. It' absolutely nothing to worry about at this time. If you want you could post some pictures of the enclosure and the scorpion and we can give you information on setting up an appropriate enclosure and so forth. Usually scorpions don't eat if they are stressed or in premolt so first things first, lets get the enclosure set up properly. Little side note: try to leave feeders in the tank for a maximum of 24 hours, if after that time has passed and the feeder has not been eaten, remove it and try again in 2-3 days.
Thanks for the feedback, ill just let it rest and get comfortable. I put some photos below of its current enclosure and also, im open to any improvements that could be made to it. Thanks again for the help. 20180629_190207.jpg 20180629_190231.jpg

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
OK so you will need to add at least one hide for the scorpion to hide in. These species love bark as the name implies so one or two pieces of cork bark would be perfect. I used to keep mine on a 50/50 sand and peat substrate and they loved it. Easy to care for really but a sting is quite painful so take care. I'm not your mother so i'l leave it at that lol. For feeders, you can't go wrong with crickets. Mine loved brown banded crickets which are docile, easily digestible and don't grow too big for a Centruroides sculpturatus (scientific name for your species) to handle and catch.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It needs something vertical or at an angle to climb on. As Jonathan159 said, cork bark works well. You can also use regular bark that you've cleaned or even pieces of cork board. I use cork board for all mine, but that's in part because I have a lot of things that need that vertical space, so it's cheaper than going with cork bark. You may want to put some pebbles in the dish to decrease the chances of drowning (I can't quite tell how deep it is, so it may not be an issue).

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
Mine have caves made out of rocks that they like to hide in. I just stack big rocks and put pebbles over the top to fill in the small gaps. Might not work for yours though given how small. I also don't give mine standing water like that. I mist it thoroughly every couple of weeks though.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Definitely need some sort of vertical climbing for it. They tend to molt on vertical surfaces. I'd also agree that the water dish is currently a possible hazard. Cheap ($1-2 a bag) aquarium gravel can be added in there to give the scorpion something to walk across.

Desert Dweller

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I let the scorpion get used to the enclosure and also added a rock burrow for it to hide, and soon enough I found it eating! Now just planning on getting a hollow log and making the water shallow.

I got some nice footage of it and a pic

www.vimeo.com/278607684

www.vimeo.com/278606714

20180705_200131.jpg

Last edited:

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Sometimes if you feed Arizona bark scorpions a large amount of food, they won't eat for a long while!