Are They Worth It?

jakeh

Arachnopeon
I believe this question is best to be answered by P. Metallica owners only, and ones who own other T's as well (doubting anyone who owns one doesn't own other species.) Simple question, are they worth the price you pay for a tarantula? Are they truly worth the $175 you pay (I may have seen lower but not by much) for a sling? I ask because I am considering my options for my 7th T, and hear that on top of being a great looking spider, they are one of the easier pokies to own (I haven't owned a pokie before.) Thanks for your input.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have some money to play around with and simply NEED that bright blue coloration in your enclosure, then yes. If you only have x dollars to go around and you'd prefer to get more species for it, then no. I own a P metallica, but I only bought one because I had some extra money and I already own all the other must-have, in my opinion, pokies.

I personally think a female P subfusca highland is much prettier than a P metallica any day. If you're only going to get one more tarantula and you just wanna go all out, then go for it. But you can get just as much out of many other pokie species. Along with the aforementioned subfusca, I particularly like miranda, rufilata, and ornata. In the end it's gonna be a matter of personal opinion and situation.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if you're looking for a nice looking pokie, and NOT wanting to pay that much why not go for a regalis? they are considered one of the easiest starter pokies and are one of the best looking imho.... P. regalis was my 2nd t ( and first arboreal as well as sling). ive never had any regrets, and even bought its mate in hopes of my very near future (and 1st) breeding project. P. metallica is everything you say they are (from what i hear) , but ONLY YOU can decide if they are worth it. Im sure to SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE, a metallica sling is WORTH 1000 dollars.

---------- Post added 01-17-2012 at 12:23 AM ----------

And sorry jayefbe, but the lowland/bara is prettier :laugh:

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my opinion they are. They are beautiful, not as defensive as other pokies, very easy to take care of and they actively hunt down prey rather then sit and wait.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
In before P. metallica are overrated.

That said, they do hide a lot, and are very photosensitive.

I only love it because it's blue, which is my favorite color. For me, anything blue is automatically the best. I'm glad lividum and versicolors are pretty affordable.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
In before P. metallica are overrated.

That said, they do hide a lot, and are very photosensitive.

I only love it because it's blue, which is my favorite color. For me, anything blue is automatically the best. I'm glad lividum and versicolors are pretty affordable.
Mine never hides, its always out. Lol around feeding time sometimes even blowing gently.doesnt.sppok it enough to make it hide so i can drop dinne rin its enclosure. Love the.blue.. thats why i got.mine as well. Its so perdy.

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will have to agree. My p. Metallica is almost always on display, sometimes even during the day.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah definitely overrated.. yes they're pretty but sent exactly rare or even uncommon.. they are just high in demand so people pay that $175 for it..

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
All pokies are impressive and beautiful, It's really just nice to have a complete collection of all pokies.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Metallicas are cool but I went with balfouri for the ease of care :)

And $175 for a sling seems a little high, I wouldn't pay more than $125 myself.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I have ten P. metallicas. I find them very worth it. They handle easy and are very beautiful. But there are other less expensive T's that ate just as beautiful and stunning.

And mind are almost never hiding as well.

Using Tapatalk on my iPhone 4S.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
My favorite Pokies are bara and mirandas though. They are stunning. I love all my Pokies though. :p

Using Tapatalk on my iPhone 4S.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Agree with a lot others are saying, I collected my change untill I could afford one, and like hobo said haha love the color blue so it's a must have for me I paid less then 175.00 though.... It's a T you have to want and be able to afford. Mine is still a tiny sling but has turned out to be a great eater so far and hangs out on its little web porch all the time haha
So if ya want it go for it but just think how many diff T's you could get for 175.00 lol

Papa80Proof

Arachnopeon
If you've got the money for it I'd say they are definitely worth it. I've always thought they are the most beautiful tarantulas out there. Mine stays out in the open about 80% of the time. I've also found them very easy to care for. It was my first pokie which I bought as a sling and it's now about 4.5 inches and looking prettier then ever. Go for it!

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Yeah definitely overrated.. yes they're pretty but sent exactly rare or even uncommon.. they are just high in demand so people pay that $175 for it..
^This. As long as people are buying for crazy prices.....guess where the prices will stay?

I'll take a tigrinawesseli over any metallica.

MattInNYC

Arachnopeon
Metallicas are cool but I went with balfouri for the ease of care :)

And $175 for a sling seems a little high, I wouldn't pay more than $125 myself.
Ease of care in what sense? All Poecilotheria are pretty damn easy to care for too. Do you just mean the arboreal setup?

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I mean that a balfouri is as tough as an obt IME, whereas a Metallica is a pokie and requires a little more effort.

I also like the balfouri better so it's a win/win for me!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well they are worth it if you want one bad enough. if you think thats a little too high priced, then you might as well save up enough and buy a comfirmed female instead. of course your spending more money, but you know you have a female.