Are these tarantula's?

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
While I agree... Maybe we should make a separate thread if we want to keep discussing this topic?

OP must be tired of getting notifications for this when all they wanted was a spider ID'd.

šŸ˜…

Edub

Arachnopeon
If you read all my responses youā€™d know my thoughts on this.
Sorry, but you still haven't explained why googling was a better idea than asking the knowledgable ppl here, when you got the wrong answer from googling, and the OP got the correct answer from asking here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry, but you still haven't explained why googling was a better idea than asking the knowledgable ppl here, when you got the wrong answer from googling, and the OP got the correct answer from asking here.
Clearly you didnā€™t read all my posts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I to spent many happy times in the marine world.
Two six foot tanks, one reef, one mainly Lion fish, and a three foot used as a biological filter being supplied by Fluvial externals.

Fortunately this was prior to " social " media days, when things were pleasant, staff in shops were very knowledgeable, keepers used to spend many happy hours in the shops idly chatting and comparing notes, tea/ coffee was always available.

I can clearly remember the times when the latest marine shipment was delayed due to traffic problems, and would not be arriving until midnight.

By the time I arrived at the shop there must have been 25/30 keen keepers drinking coffee and chatting and sumising what may have been sent as replacements if the order had not been fulfilled.

Where are those days gone ?

Never to return thanks to "social " media.
I remember those days too. Man staff at local shops used to be so knowledgeable!

Indeed ā€œsocialā€ crappola, anything but social.

But a good reptile show is worth its weight in gold

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I remember those days too. Man staff at local shops used to be so knowledgeable!

Indeed ā€œsocialā€ crappola, anything but social.

But a good reptile show is worth its weight in gold
I agree a good reptile show is good.

If only the " anties " wouldn't put pressure on the local councils here in the UK and have them cancelled.

I think there's only 1 annual show left here now and that's the IHS show, and they are trying to cancel that one.

They don't seem to bother with the invert shows, they continue as normal.

For the time being at least.

I have, and I share some of your points. But please read your first post again. Did you really find the correct answer?
You are like a dog with a bone.

A very bad dog at that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree a good reptile show is good.

If only the " anties " wouldn't put pressure on the local councils here in the UK and have them cancelled.

I think there's only 1 annual show left here now and that's the IHS show, and they are trying to cancel that one.

They don't seem to bother with the invert shows, they continue as normal.

For the time being at least.
Whoa why are they stopping them??
Is that also going on in the rest of EU?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Whoa why are they stopping them??
Is that also going on in the rest of EU?
Animal Welfare movements.

This is how it is in the reptile hobby at present.

I personally think it's part of the greater plan to stop the keeping of anything other than cats and dogs.
Basically anything considered "non domestic".

Birds and fish will also be classed as non domestic.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I personally think it's part of the greater plan to stop the keeping of anything other than cats and dogs.

Birds and fish will also be classed as non domestic.
I thought the same as well-just crap

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have, and I share some of your points. But please read your first post again. Did you really find the correct answer?
A lot of google results send people back here sometimes also . Hence the common ressurection of dead threads šŸ§µ created by non active users ā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: :pigeon: :devil: Unfortunately using google is a Double edged sword, good information ā„¹ and bad everywhere.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer

And society being wall to wall hypocrisy. Go out and spray bullets with your favorite assault rifle copy at the local wildlife and be deemed a good old boy following a great Ramican tradition but don't you dare take an animal across the state line.

Recalling a group of people with their AR 15s drinking beer and shooting at anything that moves. Then we went up to the high country of the reservation and carefully selected an old ailing buck and took it without a permit and not in deer season, followed the native traditions of paying respects and using every last bit of the animal which we shared with several impoverished households.

Last edited:

Jabberjay

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I am new to this and have some pictures of a couple spider's. This is the first time I have seen this spider in Kentucky. I found them in Williamsburg Kentucky crawling in the grass. When we got close to them they lifted their front legs into to the air. Can anyone please tell me what they are? I have been told they are tarantula's and also trapdoor spider's. Please help.
It looks like an Ummidia, so trapdoor spider is correct. Ummidia audouini is the most frequently observed trapdoor spider in Kentucky on inaturalist and looks quite like the individual in your pictures. Ummidia are frequently mistaken for Sphodros niger on inaturalist, but they can be distinguished by differences in chelicerae length (Sphodors have very long chelicerae) and cephalothorax shape (Ummidia is more uniformly round, while Sphodros' is ~trapezoidal with rounded corners). Sphodros' abdomen appears more elliptic and Ummidia's more uniformly round, IMO. There may be more diagnostics, but these are most obvious to me. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

IceFox

Arachnopeon
It looks like an Ummidia, so trapdoor spider is correct. Ummidia audouini is the most frequently observed trapdoor spider in Kentucky on inaturalist and looks quite like the individual in your pictures. Ummidia are frequently mistaken for Sphodros niger on inaturalist, but they can be distinguished by differences in chelicerae length (Sphodors have very long chelicerae) and cephalothorax shape (Ummidia is more uniformly round, while Sphodros' is ~trapezoidal with rounded corners). Sphodros' abdomen appears more elliptic and Ummidia's more uniformly round, IMO. There may be more diagnostics, but these are most obvious to me. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! This actually helps a lot!