Are these springtails?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ive just noticed them mainly in the water dishes. Sometimes they will be underneath it where its a tiny bit moist. I have been wanting to, and really should, setup a enclosure just to start a springtail colony. That way i will have them to add to my enclosures as needed.
Ah ok. But it's curious to see how they behave in such low water availability enclosure. :)

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Do they ever thrive in humid enclosures with sphagnum moss? My pokies just get misted (they have dishes, but they always knock them over so I don't usually fill them - just lots of misting), and my genics are too small for dishes and probably don't need springtails anyway. Oh, and my leachie and tribbies would probably do well with some springtails in their moss. Soooo, springtails in moss - possible or no?

poisoned

Arachnodemon
So, since they're so beneficial, would it be a good idea to transfer some springtails to my other enclosures? (All my animals have been quarantined and are healthy.)
They seem to infest other enclosures quickly. I have no idea how, I just saw them appear in nearby enclosures quickly after they appeared in my E. cyanognathus enclosure.

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight
I culture springtails for my frog tank and have added them to my sling cups. They're great little cleaners who will always hop right onto any cricket that has expired that the T's haven't eaten.

Yes they can live no problem on moss.

Typically if you're doing a culture of these you'd use organic charcoal and water. They live on the charcoal and you just lightly dust with brewers yeast. Yeast molds though so if you want to feed some out into your T's wait til its time to feed the springtails again, put some in the T's enclosure and then feed the springtail culture.

Also if anyone has anymore questions about springtails or would like some let me know.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep they do great in moss. My largest male D. diadema has a thick layer of moss in his enclosure, and thats where i first seen springtails show up. I usually snag them from his enclosure and use them in others.
Do they ever thrive in humid enclosures with sphagnum moss? My pokies just get misted (they have dishes, but they always knock them over so I don't usually fill them - just lots of misting), and my genics are too small for dishes and probably don't need springtails anyway. Oh, and my leachie and tribbies would probably do well with some springtails in their moss. Soooo, springtails in moss - possible or no?

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been on here for awhile looking at all different bug pictures trying to figure out what has infested my Ephebopus cyanognathus Blue Fang Skeleton tarantula enclosure. I will attach a photo, they are white but I also see them brown - they move very quickly but do not fly. I'm pretty sure they are springtails. I have totally rehoused the enclosure TWICE and put in all new water dishes and leaves and everything else - which works for awhile and then they are infesting again. If they did not bother the tarantula I wouldn't worry about it, but the first time I found them it was because she spent days hanging from the top of the enclosure, it was the only way she could escape them. (It took me awhile to figure out why she was out because she always hides) I don't have a problem with the other enclosures because they are dry, but I keep this one at a high humidity which I'm sure just causes them to mass reproduce like crazy. But I can't keep it dry or it will kill my tarantula. Any ideas? I'm at such a loss.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep Blue Fangs dry as bone. That will not kill it!