are tarantula keepers more male than female (poll)

male or female keeper?

• male

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • female

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it's from that long ago... It would be interesting to see what the ratio looks like now!

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I am a male collector if anyone cares lmao.....Anyway its so funny because when i have women over my house they all wanna SEE my tarantulas but as soon as I go to pick up that doesnt mind if I hold it (my Parahybana or my Nhandu Vulpinus) they freak out and say ahhhh dont pick that "thing" up and run out the room lol. So even if i hold it in front of them they still wont touch it or hold it lol...but they just had to see it sooo badly lol ;P ;P :?

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, I think just an overzealous arachno user.

And there was a recent poll on this actually. Last few weeks.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Girl checking in here! I want to vote too. It's true, in demos I have done, holding T gets more girls than guys.

Silly boys, tarantulas are for girls-Sydney

Nathan Dorian

Arachnopeon
The same reason that most gerbil/hamster/etc. owners seem to be female?

It's all a big mystery to me.

I feel weird being one of the only guys on cat and gerbil forums. Makes a nice change to see a lot of guys around. XD

I've definitely known more female T keepers than male gerbil or cat keepers, though.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Probably because this thread was resurrected 5 years too late to play in. It was from December 2003. :D
Haha holy poop, and I almost always notice thread necromancy too! This is why I shouldn't surf AB before I've had my morning caffiene. {D

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
speaking from the perspective of a dealer (I run an online tarantula dealing site in South Africa),
about 25% of my customers are female.
Women tend to buy grammostola, brachypelma, avicularia or other docile species, and tend to anthropomorphize their pet tarantulas. gosh i must sound sexist.
However, i'll agree with a previous poster and note that women who have not been exposed to T's are less likely to freak out at the site of or the notion of holding a tarantula than men who have not been exposed. (basing this observation from doing reptile shows).

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Girl checking in here! I want to vote too. It's true, in demos I have done, holding T gets more girls than guys.

Silly boys, tarantulas are for girls-Sydney
I used to think you were a guy? obviously I was wrong haha

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I am a male collector if anyone cares lmao.....Anyway its so funny because when i have women over my house they all wanna SEE my tarantulas but as soon as I go to pick up that doesnt mind if I hold it (my Parahybana or my Nhandu Vulpinus) they freak out and say ahhhh dont pick that "thing" up and run out the room lol. So even if i hold it in front of them they still wont touch it or hold it lol...but they just had to see it sooo badly lol ;P ;P :?
They're just makeing a fuss. My girl was against any spiders, and says she would never touch one. But when it comes to feeding, suddenly, a bug killing a bug is not a disgusting thing anymore :?

I haven't heard of many polish female T keepers though... We're little behind with women suffragism here (or whatever one would name a process of women being accepted when doing masculine things).

So it might be true of what somebody said - it takes time for such a hobby to become a not-un-girly thing :)

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i don't know the sex of my T's right now i mite have a guy i know on here sex them for me so i know. But I have a female Mexican red knee coming tomorrow i think or the next