Are Australian Ts OW or NW?

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not sure because many people refer to OW as Asia, Europe, and Africa, while NW is the Americas. So is Australia OW or NW?

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The West is the New World and the East is the Old World. Australia is East so the answer would be Old World.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The Old World consists of those parts of Earth known to Europeans, Asians, and Africans in the 15th century before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia, and Africa (collectively known as Afro-Eurasia), plus surrounding islands. The term is in distinction from the New World, meaning the Americas and Australia and surrounding territory.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Old World consists of those parts of Earth known to Europeans, Asians, and Africans in the 15th century before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia, and Africa (collectively known as Afro-Eurasia), plus surrounding islands. The term is in distinction from the New World, meaning the Americas and Australia and surrounding territory.
I would have to totally agree with you
but many dealer sites list Australian Spp as 'Old world'

Last edited:

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New World

Australia and New Zealand are 'New World' along with North America, Central America, and South America. Europe, Asia, and Africa are 'Old World'. Antarctica is the 'Newer World', but you won't find Ts there. ;)

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Australia and New Zealand are 'New World' along with North America, Central America, and South America. Europe, Asia, and Africa are 'Old World'. Antarctica is the 'Newer World', but you won't find Ts there. ;)
I agree . Australia is" New World "so the T's there are NW T's.

Psych0

Arachnopeon
why are the NW tarantulas?! Do they flick hair or have weaker venom or what? i think evolution is not interested in human history. the Australian t-s are definitely OW tarantulas

dydek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
why are the NW tarantulas?! Do they flick hair or have weaker venom or what? i think evolution is not interested in human history. the Australian t-s are definitely OW tarantulas

They not called NW tarantulas beacuse they flick hair or have weaker venom, they are called NW beacuse they live in NW....

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since this distinction is used mostly for describing behavior, ability to flick hairs, potency of venom - they're old world for me. Selling them as new world Ts would, in my opinion, be misleading, and could end up in some "accidents".

Last edited:

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They not called NW tarantulas beacuse they flick hair or have weaker venom, they are called NW beacuse they live in NW....
yes we don't call them NW or OW just because they flick hair or the potency of the venom . It is the geography of where they come from that names them NW or OW.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Since this distinction is used mostly for describing behavior, ability to flick hairs, potency of venom - they're old world for me. Selling them as new world Ts would, in my opinion, be misleading, and could end up in some "accidents".
I never sell a T as NW or OW anyway I sell them by their scientific name!!With a description of their behavior.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then you should also sell P. irminia as 'Old World' using the same logic.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Less geography, more T comparison

So, do they share more characteristics with "old world" Ts or "new world" ones? For instance, do they have urticating hairs?

--the nature boy

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Seeing as Australia is so geographically isolated, I would just label them as Australian.