Arboreal suggestions

BZeni

Arachnopeon
Hello all! I have an empty 8x8x12 enclosure that needs a new tenant. Its neighbors are an a.avic and a c.versicolor. Suggestions for something that does well at room temp and is fairly easy to keep?
I've been looking at t.gigas and p.irminia.
Thanks!

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Suggestions for something that does well at room temp and is fairly easy to keep?
LOL. basically every tarantula available. :p

i really like my irminia, but i rarely see it...

i only briefly had some of the T. gigas/P. gigas slings so i can't speak from experience about them. I will mention that irminia and gigas should both get on moist substate instead of dry like the avic and versicolor.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I vote P. cambridgei. In my experience they're way more active than P. irminia.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I vote P. cambridgei. In my experience they're way more active than P. irminia.
Don't P. cambridgei females get an upwards of 7" as adults though? I think that'd end up a little cramped if OP intends on that being it's forever home.

That'd be my biggest concern, but P. cams are awesome and it'd definitely make a good enclosure for a while at least. I'm personally more partial to irminia myself, but it sounds like i'm just lucky mine comes out to say hello a lot.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Don't P. cambridgei females get an upwards of 7" as adults though? I think that'd end up a little cramped if OP intends on that being it's forever home.

That'd be my biggest concern, but P. cams are awesome and it'd definitely make a good enclosure for a while at least. I'm personally more partial to irminia myself, but it sounds like i'm just lucky mine comes out to say hello a lot.

Yeah they get to around 7 inches. But let's be real, it could live in a 1 gallon food container like the ones found at walmart for the rest of it's and it will find a way to thrive. If you have an 8x8x12 Exoterra Nano, it will likely be just fine in there. It's also likely stay confined to a cork bark tube if you give it one.

LittleGiRLy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you like avics, i suggest a. minatrix. A smaller avic (perfect for your tank size), but sooo beautiful. Such a facinating little bugger too! I have always had one in my collection!

But irminias are neat too!

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
So far my only arboreals are Tapinauchenius violaceus and Pseudoclamoris gigas. The P gigas is still a sling (about 1”) but it seems a bit more feisty than my T violaceus and visually it’s more appealing as far as markings and changes in its appearance as it grows. I like that mine are both frequently visible even if they can be shy. I usually see them every day and they are always out at night. They have a steady growth rate too and make nice jumps in size with each molt. I’ve always liked the look of Psalmopeus pulcher as well and if I get another arboreal that’s probably the species I will choose.
It might be nice for you to get a species like this as they don’t web like Avics and tend to burrow below their vertical bark and then make a bit of web curtains. They leave the enclosure much more open and it’s easy to add food and water without dealing with webbing.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well I don't see my irmina much. When I do i get super excited. Seems like it is extra special when they come out. My p cams are one of my favorites of all time. P pulcher is a good candidate if you ask me as well.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
cant go wrong with an avic...well unless you go wrong. BUT it is simple care and very friendly-ish, plus the nice colors.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of all of the Psalmopoeus sp, my favourite is P pulcher or P reduncus! I really like the P pulcher colloration!!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Any Psalmopoeus/Tapinauchenius/Pseudoclamoris (P. cambridgei might be a bit big as an adult but everything else should be fine).

View media item 56896View media item 54776View media item 55480View media item 55689View media item 56107View media item 55303View media item 56165

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm going to throw my hat into the Psalmopoeus cambridgei camp too. I'm partial to moss green tarantulas, though.
DSC01543-2.jpg

I love my Psalmopoeus pulcher female, but she is rarely out where I can see her.
DSC02486-2.jpg

BZeni

Arachnopeon
Crested geckos!
Haha! Had one once and he was more demanding than all 5 of my T's together!

Thanks all for the suggestions! I settled on the p.gigas to add some orange to my collection!

Last edited by a moderator: