arboreal question

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i changed my a. avics enclosure from a large kritter keeper to this and i was wondering if it had enough room/height to build a tube web and thrive? it looked a lot taller/bigger before i put the avic in but now it looks kinda small.. should i move it back for it to thrive and be able to build a tube web or can they do it in something this small?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Ill, I personally like to give them a little more space but all in all I would say that if fine. One thing you can do to give it a little more room is take out some of the substrate, most avics really only need enough to cover to ground. Greg
I just finished my pokie enclosure I will have to put some updated pics of it up soon, I think it turned out pretty sweet. I think DianeS. will be proud of me, her be the enclosure queen and all :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That jar looks fine to me for that spider. I've kept some Avics for their entire lifespan inside of mini petpal on its end. They just turned the whole thing into a tube web and got fat and lazy since food was always delivered to the front door.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for re-assuring me bear and CM.. i was a bit worried i had done all that for nothing... i'm gonna take out some substrate.. thanks again!

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i didn't wanna take out any substrate because i put the cork bark 1/8-1/16" above it so crickets can still climb it but the cork bark doesn't get wet.. i was thinking of taking out a bunch of substrate and putting a ball of sphagnum moss to connect the cork and the substrate so the crickets can climb to the cork bark. i've done the with my versicolor sling and it works... i just wanna give the avic room to build some web.. i haven't had a t build a tube web yet and the avic was begining one in the large Kritter Keeper but i want to use the large Kritter keeper for my next T which might be a pokie..

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, here's my opinion on the situation. I think that the smaller container will be fine for your pinktoe. However, since it is in a smaller container, its tube web probably won't be as interesting as it would be in the larger container. If it were me, I would just spend an extra $10 to get the larger container. I really like to see the interesting tube webs. Because eventually, the spider will probably build its web thick enough to the point that it is hard to see the spider. So at least with a larger container, even though I might not see the spider as much as I would like, at least I can marvel at the spiders webbing ability.

Jon

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my experience, if the spider was given the larger of the two containers, it would just make a small tube web in the corner and hide in there all day. I've noticed that my avics tend to be a lot happier in smaller tanks, which they usually completely fill with web.

That small tank you have there is more than ample space for an avic of that size.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think your setup is fine. I use a one gallon Wal-Mart "pickel jar" with cork bark to the top that seems to be plenty large enough. I put a water dish bolted near the top. I over fill the water dish once a week.