Arachnophobe Noob Needs Help With First T!

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
Ok, so, a little update:

I'm *hopefully* going to pick up my first T tomorrow night, super excited :)
Amanda over at Tarantula Canada has been super awesome in answering all my questions and giving me a list of the recommended 'beginner T's' they have in stock.

Of those, I'm stuck between either B. boehemi or B. albiceps....I just can't decide.
Seems every account or caresheet contradicts the one following it.

Of course, the brachypelma are hair kickers compared to the grammastola in general, but both the G. pulchripes and the G. pulchra get too big for me personally (plus...as awesome as the G. pulchra sounds a big black spider is still a big black spider in my books until the fear subsides).

Both the b. boehemi and b. albiceps look awesome---but it seems like for every one caresheet or account of one species being XYZ more than the other (less skittish, less hair kicking etc) the next one is vice versa.

Thoughts?

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say B. albiceps. My B. boehmei is satan spawn. I love her to death, though. But she has proven to be a tough one to rehouse and not fun to go near at all. I have 35 tarantulas and I enjoy feeding her the least. Individual personalities in mind, I still think B. albiceps. I had an incredibly hard time getting my hands on mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

lancej

Arachnolord
I would go with B. albiceps. They seem to be calmer and less likely to kick a cloud of hairs than the boehmei that I have seen. They also seem to be more rarely offered. I am still a bigger fan of G. pulchra and G. pulchripes as beginners, but it is ultimately up to you what you pick. If they have those two (pulchra and pulchripes), then give them a look in person before you totally dismiss them. Good luck with your choices :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My B. boehmei 2.5" male is very skittish, like most of these are. He kicks hairs when I open the enclosure, when I close it, when move the waterdish, when I fill the waterdish...and sometimes he behaves like an OBT throwing threatpostures while falling over onto his back - it's hilarious but I wished he'd stop kicking hairs all the time - very itchy :D

DawnSpider

Arachnopeon
Hi,
It will be exciting to meet you at the expo... Please stop by i would love to introduce you to the amazing world of arachnids. i have many that you can personally interact with to let you truly get in touch with them . Amanda will also be there from Tarantula Canada and also has a stunning collection to look at and gather information from.

Take care
Dawn
Tangled in Webs

Stackie

Arachnopeon
My first was a B. boehmei. While she is the usual hair kicker, it has never bothered me. She is slow moving and beautiful to look at. Once she kicks a few times to let me know her disapproval when I am tending to her enclosure, she calms down and tolerates me. :)