Arachnophobe Joins the Hobby!

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hired a guy, "Angel" at work in late June this year. His first day at the office, he walked by my desk and froze in his tracks at the sight of my B. smithi molt that is in a 3x3" display cube before slowly retreating. He had a lot of questions for me when I got in. "Is it alive? Where did you get it? Are you sure it's not alive? What if it gets out? You don't have any live spiders here, do you?"

It took him a few weeks to gather the courage to stand within a foot of it, face to carapace. Over the next few months, he had gathered more courage around spiders. He told me that he couldn't even look at a picture of a spider without freaking out on the inside, much less walk by one in the parking lot.

Angel had seen pictures of my Ts and expressed interest in one of my other C. fasciatum slings and said to hold on to it for him until he's ready to buy a T. He said it will help him to get over his fear of spiders if he had one as a pet. He had also been talking to my new receptionist (also an arachnophobe) and they have been checking out pictures of Ts online during the slow part of the day up at the front desk. They both said that although they don't like spiders, that the B. smithi is a beautiful spider.

I told Angel that I was working on a trade with a breeder to send him a couple of MMs I had and that I would probably get a couple of B. smithi in return. I got the B. smithi on Saturday and brought one in yesterday. It was only about 1.5", but it had some coloring to it. Not adult coloring, but getting there. Angel made the jump to the next level and bought it from me! He had done plenty of research prior to buying it, so I was comfortable with him taking it home. He's really fascinated by it. I think by this time next year, he'll have a larger collection than me. {D

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome job not rushing the learning process. It must be very rewarding to bring someone in the hobby. congrats.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well done, A for effort:clap: :clap:

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aaaah Yeeesss Spreading the sickness ! {D

Well done agent GOMER113

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yay! I love bringing others in. I have brought two people into the hobby so far.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was a hardcore arachnophobe, now i convert people too... and B. smithi is a great choice to help sell the message! Still working on my brother. I realized early on i was wasting time trying to get him to like big scary adult spiders, so now i show him 1cm avic versi slings, and i'm like "Come on buddy, tell me that's not cute!"

I'll not rest till he owns one of his own... You cannot evade your destiny... or the 8-legged destiny i have chosen for you! {D {D {D

Last edited:

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to be somewhat arachnophobic too. A year and a half ago or so I'd have said anyone who owns Ts is kinda nuts....now I have 14 (so far!!!) :D

I've been slowly making rounds through my classmates in the vet tech program getting them to acknowledge that Ts can be cute, using pictures of my A. Versi slings. Even some of them who say they can't stand to look at a picture of a spider have conceeded that the blue fuzzy babies are pretty darn cute! {D {D

Its great to try and slowly change people's minds. Letting them do the changing at their pace seems to work well, and may make a difference for arachnids. If someone can acknowledge that maybe they aren't all bad, they are more likely to at least be tolerant of them rather than spraying their entire environment to death with pesticides. Even if I can't get people to own one themselves, I'll be happy if I can make them more tolerant and appreciative of these awesome critters.

Doesn't stop me from suggesting them as pets though - when classmates say "I want to get a pet but our apartment only allows pets in tanks" I usually recommend a tarantula as a great looking, interesting, and relatively low maintenance animal, perfect for a student living in an apartment. All I've gotten so far is funny looks, but hey, maybe someone will do some reading up like I did and decide to start in the hobby too! :D

Congrats on converting your coworker to the hobby!! Its always great to have more people involved!

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to be somewhat arachnophobic too. A year and a half ago or so I'd have said anyone who owns Ts is kinda nuts....now I have 14 (so far!!!) :D

I've been slowly making rounds through my classmates in the vet tech program getting them to acknowledge that Ts can be cute, using pictures of my A. Versi slings. Even some of them who say they can't stand to look at a picture of a spider have conceeded that the blue fuzzy babies are pretty darn cute! {D {D

Its great to try and slowly change people's minds. Letting them do the changing at their pace seems to work well, and may make a difference for arachnids. If someone can acknowledge that maybe they aren't all bad, they are more likely to at least be tolerant of them rather than spraying their entire environment to death with pesticides. Even if I can't get people to own one themselves, I'll be happy if I can make them more tolerant and appreciative of these awesome critters.

Doesn't stop me from suggesting them as pets though - when classmates say "I want to get a pet but our apartment only allows pets in tanks" I usually recommend a tarantula as a great looking, interesting, and relatively low maintenance animal, perfect for a student living in an apartment. All I've gotten so far is funny looks, but hey, maybe someone will do some reading up like I did and decide to start in the hobby too! :D

Congrats on converting your coworker to the hobby!! Its always great to have more people involved!
ya I used to be really scared of dady long legs {D

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, everyone. It really is an awesome feeling. I'm still working on my sister. She found the sight of a B. smithi molting fascinating... from a distance. Maybe I'll try with my blue baby fuzzy A. versi.

One of my other co-workers already liked spiders, so he was pretty easy to get into the hobby. I started him off with a 1.25" OBT, which is now at about the 3.25" mark. He has since added a C. fasciatum sling and a L. parahybana sling. He also got a friend of his interested and I got him started with a H. lividum (made sure he was ready for it, plus he's kept exotic pets before). Since then, a bunch more of his friends have become interested in Ts and I'm sort of their spider dealer now. {D

varucu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also used to be a little reserved when it came to spiders and now look at me loving and carring for them :D I guess "people fear what they don't understand", but once they do understand the possibilities are endless. Cudos to you m8.

And btw:

GOMER113 said:
I think by this time next year, he'll have a larger collection than me.
that was a good one :D

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a friend of 15+ yrs and fellow arachnoboarder got me ( a glorified arachnophobe ) into the hobby with a cute little orange o.b.t as well and i cant thank him enough im over my fear and at 28 have finally learned about patience and the elegance and grace of a spider im glad to be a part of this community now

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my bro used to be terrified of spiders and i had two rosies at the time, and then i started expanding my collection i got a few slings, he couldnt help but fall in love with my little B. smithi sling and even got the courage to hold it. Once it got to be like 1.5" he was terrified again cause it was so "big", maybe someday he will come around and realize spiders arent killing machines. i dont think i'll show him my OBT when i get one though, that could spoil all the progress.

gecko_keeper/KBfauna

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also was a bit terrified of spiders. Mainly due to a bad experiance when I was about 15. But my son managed to talk me into letting him have one. I can't say no, for the simple fact that I own about 300 geckos. So what the heck! We started with a G. rosea, and now we have around 60 T's. The really cool thing is that I finally held one yesterday. A newly aquired female Aphonopelma sp. "Flagstaff Orange".

Just thought I'd share

GK

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never knew how fascinating tarantulas were until a friend 'converted' me. He kept bringing over some of his tarantulas and then gave my husband two from his collection. It was shortly after that, I wanted one for myself and then once you get one, well, you have to have more.... Ack!

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not even a week later, this guy is already making a wish list. :D

He's looking at maybe getting an A. seemanni next.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why are Ts so damn addicting? I never imagined getting more than just my 1st rosie. Now I have 23 or 24 and I am getting more tomorrow (hopefully) (smuggling them into the house;P ).

But really though, why are they so addicting???

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
^ Not to take anything away from rosies, but once you start doing more research and then finding pictures of other species, one tends to think "that would be nice to have" and it just goes from there. At least that's how it was with me. I started with one rosie, not thinking I'd get anything else, and now I have 12 or 13 species and about 19 total. I'm sure it won't stop there.

LordPofas

Arachnopeon
This is my first post, I've been looking around the forum for a few weeks now and this thread caught my eye because I'm a pretty severe arachnophobe considering a pet T. I've been horrified of spiders as long as I could remember, I've even jumped out of moving vehicles due to spiders on separate occasions. However, I've always found them fascinating as well, I guess it's an adrenaline thing. I work with a guy that has collected T's for 30+ years and I started asking him questions out of curiosity. He brought in a molt for me to check out and everything and told me stories of T's he's had and they're temperaments and getting tagged and finding out he's allergic....lots of stories. So it's been about 4 months or so since I first considered getting a T and I've been doing long and extensive research on the different species and proper care of each. I've gone to some local pet shops that sell exotic pets and looked around, taking baby steps. I haven't made up my mind on which type I want but I am certain I am getting one, now I just have to convince my also arachnophobic wife to go along with it. I think that might be a harder task than getting over my own fear haha

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, this thread has given me some hope ! I have met a really awesome guy who is a total arachnophobe and was unsure if there was any hope at all of him accepting that I keep T's and have a real passion for the hobby.

Thank you for sharing these stories :)