Arachnologist?

dizzychef

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if any arachnologist around here. Who studies ecology, conservating arachnids.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
There are some prominent scientific figures from the invert world on this forum...I'm not too familiar with some of their s/n's but I know Steve Nunn from Australia posts here occasionally as well as some figures from Europe. I haven't been on the forums much in a while so my memory of the names have faded but I'm quite sure someone else will drop some other names. In the meantime you can try reading through the Arachnocon trip reports as some of these people have also given lectures at that event...that and it's cool to see the pics :)

bobsleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I work on insecticide resistance of spiders and endosymbiont-driven evolution.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chris, aka "hamfoto," certainly comes to mind. He's one of the mods here. And also Zoltan.

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Thank you, Kirk, but I'm just an amateur enthusiast. But who knows, maybe one day... :D Rick West has an account here but doesn't really post. I agree on mentioning Chris (hamfoto), and I think Eric (GoTerps) should also be mentioned, as well as Martin Huber. Furthermore, Ray Gabriel, Richard Gallon, Brent E. Hendrixson, Volker von Wirth also have accounts here, but rarely if ever post.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I imagine it would be kinda like a Nuclear Physicist going online to talk about, what ever it is Nuclear Physicist talk about, with a bunch of kindergartners. It would start to get old. This is, IMO, the same reason a lot of "Arachnid Veterans" stop posting as much. In fact some to the most knowledgeable people on the forum hang out in the watering hole more than other places for general chit chat.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I'd have to disagree Travis...to an extent. I've seen some good discussions between "regular" members and some of these experts. Some of these same people are the ones who gave lectures and presentations at Arachnocons of years past to the people of this forum and from pics I've seen of the slides they were hardly simplified lol. Aside from that if studying inverts is your day job I can fully understand not wanting to spend a ton of time on it outside of work...been there, done that (car stereos to name one).

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
not to get off topic but Chris and Eric are like tarantula encyclopedia's...lol

Also travis while i somewhat agree with you that not MANY veterans post in the Q&D. i see most vets hanging in the watering hole as well. but you cant speak for them all. because some are frequent posters in the Q&D section...Stan Schultz comes to mind(though im not sure if he is an "arachnologist") he is still a highly experienced Tarantula keeper.