Aquarium as Terrarium

ShatteredK

Arachnopeon
I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot or if there is already a post of this, I can't seem to find any answers elsewhere.

First question is, can I use an aquarium as a home for my tarantulas?
and
Second, Why are aquariums so much cheaper then reptile terrariums?

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
what kind of T? yes you can just make sure that you have a top that is secure

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of us use aquariums. Plastic is good, too. So is acrylic.
As long as your lid is secure and not able to be torn by gnashing fangs, while the T. roams and uses them as extra appendages....you're good!
:)
Aquariums are cheaper because......I dunno. Good question. :cool:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How big is the aquarium and how big is the genic? You shouldn't ever house a terrestrial in an enclosure with more than 1.5x the animal's legspan from dirt to ceiling, they can be seriously hurt or killed if they climb and fall.

WildF4u

Arachnopeon
ventilation

I was told ventilation is important with certain breeds of T.. I have considred using an aquarium but i will make a lot of wholes or something on the top to get good ventilation..

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have considred using an aquarium but i will make a lot of wholes or something on the top to get good ventilation..
ALL tarantulas need some ventilation, actually. Also what kind of top are you planning to make holes in? If it's some plastic hood cover meant for a fish tank, get rid of it and buy a screen top that fits your tank (and buy some clips or something to lock it in place).