Apistobuthus pterygocercus

RTTB

Arachnoprince
So where do they live and what type of environment? I know nothing about them. Congrats.

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice! Best of luck with them.

Can you provide anymore info.? Are these CB or from a pregnant WC female? Has the original seller had success raising this species? Are they from Oman (I'm trying to work out who may have been offering these.....haha)? How were you advised to keep them?

Sorry for lots of questions. I'm just very intrigued about the story behind this species as they've become almost mythical as super rare and also impossible to successfully raise. I hope that in reality they can be bred in captivity and will maybe stick around in the hobby.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice! Best of luck with them.

Can you provide anymore info.? Are these CB or from a pregnant WC female? Has the original seller had success raising this species? Are they from Oman (I'm trying to work out who may have been offering these.....haha)? How were you advised to keep them?

Sorry for lots of questions. I'm just very intrigued about the story behind this species as they've become almost mythical as super rare and also impossible to successfully raise. I hope that in reality they can be bred in captivity and will maybe stick around in the hobby.
From what I know they are very similar to Leiurus where they will but ow or dig scrapes if given the opportunity. I know of a few people that have them in Europe and unfortunately, horror stories still exist of gravid females not giving birth to anything substantial. Hopefully they or someone else will find the fix!

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. Brandon. It's interesting that this species is still considered difficult to raise, especially when other psammophilous scorpions are kept with success. Do you know if raising them through the instars has been possible? Is it just the breeding/giving birth that's been tricky?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. Brandon. It's interesting that this species is still considered difficult to raise, especially when other psammophilous scorpions are kept with success. Do you know if raising them through the instars has been possible? Is it just the breeding/giving birth that's been tricky?
I believe that raising to adulthood has been possible, and even successful. Apparently it is the replication of conditions for birthing that has given so many issues.

The thing that I find so fascinating is that when these were collected, the people doing the collecting found them out in the open, males and females. I do not believe that nay were dug up from burrows. So they be active in their habitat even during the day.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I believe that raising to adulthood has been possible, and even successful. Apparently it is the replication of conditions for birthing that has given so many issues.

The thing that I find so fascinating is that when these were collected, the people doing the collecting found them out in the open, males and females. I do not believe that nay were dug up from burrows. So they be active in their habitat even during the day.
True... i wonder if its the same issue Hadrurus have.. i read in a previous post "they dig long spiral like burrows" pretty deep but no way to back that up. Apparently mark stockman isnt too succesfull with them but another german breeder says he has great success on basic minimul care and housing like most desert scorps

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
Truly drool worthy! Please update us with their progress and your care parameters, as well as any specific behaviors, attributes you observe with them. Those tails makes these guys so out of this world awesome to look at! Hope they are as interesting as they are unique and that you have lots of success.