Aphonopelma seemani enclosure

Stripe13

Arachnopeon
Hey all! I’ve setup this enclosure for a 3-5” Aphonopelma seemani I will be getting here soon. What do you think of the setup? This is the first T enclosure I’ve setup, so I want to make sure it’s done properly. The substrate is about 9 1/2” deep. The plants have no sharp edges and are made of silk. I also have some sphagnum moss, but I don’t know if I should add it as well or not.
2323EE7B-A1E7-4D23-B76C-1DA95BDA5C02.jpeg
98FB756B-912D-40A4-BB86-2A9759509C99.jpeg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This might make hell freeze over but I'd actually suggest removing some substrate so that it's 7 - 8 inches deep, when your tarantula burrows (which it will, extensively) it's basically going to fill a good chunk of the remaining space with substrate. I wouldn't bother with moss either, it'll just get buried, just syringe or pour water down the sides of the enclosure to moisten the bottom layers of substrate and you're good.

Other than that it's a great setup, good job.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
This might make hell freeze over but I'd actually suggest removing some substrate so that it's 7 - 8 inches deep, when your tarantula burrows (which it will, extensively) it's basically going to fill a good chunk of the remaining space with substrate. I wouldn't bother with moss either, it'll just get buried, just syringe or pour water down the sides of the enclosure to moisten the bottom layers of substrate and you're good.

Agreed with this advice, when it burrows you'll it'll be looking the dirt against the lid.

This is one of the better "first tarantula" setups I've seen, good work, stripe13 :)

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Note that keeping that substrate depth is actually fine. It's just that you'll have to spend the first month or two removing webbed up dirt just so you have space to deal with things. That water dish will be buried within less than week.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One senior keeper always recommends washing silk plants because they have dyes in them.

Sweet setup

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
One of the better first Tarantula enclosure set ups! Looks good! Just be prepared for things to get buried.

Stripe13

Arachnopeon

Thank you! I’ve done this and we’ll see how it goes, definitely expecting most everything to be buried but still XD