Aphonopelma molt question

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I tried searching the fourms to try and answer this question but couldn't find it.. Soo..

I just had an aphonopelma "anax" molt. I noticed that her molt turned completely brown after she released herself. I recall seeing something about helping identify weither it's anax or hentzi. Anybody heard anything about this or is my brain playing tricks on me. (Also haven't had all my coffee this morning) ::bored::

Also idk if it was those two species at hand..

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Perfectly normal for old exo to change color hues after molt.

Last edited:

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Also I bought a small collection and it was labeled as anax but figured I would pass it by all of ya. Thought I had heard of a trick that if the exo turns brown then it was "insert species here"

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Aphonopelma anax can be distinguished from all other species from the USA by the shape of the spermatheca. A. anax will have two rounded receptacles. You can't ID A. hentzi by spermatheca alone, but if you rule out A. anax then we can go from there. Compare the spermatheca of your tarantula from the molt with the attached picture.

Attachments

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Aphonopelma anax can be distinguished from all other species from the USA by the shape of the spermatheca. A. anax will have two rounded receptacles. You can't ID A. hentzi by spermatheca alone, but if you rule out A. anax then we can go from there. Compare the spermatheca of your tarantula from the molt with the attached picture.
thank you aphonopelma TX it looks to be that I have an anax :) tried to take a pic but too blurry