Aphonopelma eutylenum

JillGig

Arachnopeon
I recently went to a reptile convention and wound up bringing a A eutylenum home with me. I was able to look up very minimal info on this species. She is extremely calm, never hides or darts away..and she's gorgeous! I was wondering if any of you know anything helpful about this species. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Im not familiar with this species but you should add pictures of your new T and its entire enclosure. That way when someone with more experience shows up they will have a better idea on what to help you with.

JillGig

Arachnopeon
Im not familiar with this species but you should add pictures of your new T and its entire enclosure. That way when someone with more experience shows up they will have a better idea on what to help you with.
Yea..i plan to. Im at work now but when I get home ill upload a pic:)

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Maybe based on the distribution map here it would be kept similar to others in the Aphonopelma genus. Pretty dry with a water dish and a hide. Seems like it's found in pretty arid areas. May be tolerant to higher humidity due to its proximity to the coast, but it's probably not a major requirement.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I recently went to a reptile convention and wound up bringing a A eutylenum home with me. I was able to look up very minimal info on this species. She is extremely calm, never hides or darts away..and she's gorgeous! I was wondering if any of you know anything helpful about this species. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's a beautiful species, sometimes called the poor man's pulchra. In some pictures you can't even tell the difference at times. They are native to California, an easy going species I've heard. You don't see them too often in collections! It's a pretty T.

You could keep this one like many scrubland NW terrestrials.

Contact Jamie she'll know for sure

http://jamiestarantulas.blogspot.com/2014/03/g-pulchra-brazilian-black-and-eutylenum.html

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I have a MF A eutylenum. She's like other North America Aphonopelma, keep them dry. She never uses the hide in her enclosure. Fairly simple and straight forward care. @viper69 was completely right. They aren't a dwarf. Mine is a little over 4". Temperament, typical Aphonopelma attitude. Mostly good, occasionally grouchy. They look like a G pulchra after they molt. She was kinda muddy brown before she molted at the end of August. Now she's jet black. I'm at work and don't have a pic on my phone, but she is very pretty.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
It's a beautiful species, sometimes called the poor man's pulchra. In some pictures you can't even tell the difference at times. They are native to California, an easy going species I've heard. You don't see them too often in collections! It's a pretty T.

http://jamiestarantulas.blogspot.com/2014/03/g-pulchra-brazilian-black-and-eutylenum.html
Why would Aphonopelma eutylenum be called the poor man's pulchra when only mature males are black?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I have a MF A eutylenum. She's like other North America Aphonopelma, keep them dry. She never uses the hide in her enclosure. Fairly simple and straight forward care. @viper69 was completely right. They aren't a dwarf. Mine is a little over 4". Temperament, typical Aphonopelma attitude. Mostly good, occasionally grouchy. They look like a G pulchra after they molt. She was kinda muddy brown before she molted at the end of August. Now she's jet black. I'm at work and don't have a pic on my phone, but she is very pretty.
I’ve been confused about A. eutylenum. Some sources describe them as black while others say they are brown, even tan in coloring. Wikipedia shows the photos from Hamilton et al. ZooKeys 2016 and the female looks much like A. iodius. :confused: Are we actually talking about two different species? Was a different species called A. eutylenum prior to 2016?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve been confused about A. eutylenum. Some sources describe them as black while others say they are brown, even tan in coloring. Wikipedia shows the photos from Hamilton et al. ZooKeys 2016 and the female looks much like A. iodius. :confused: Are we actually talking about two different species? Was a different species called A. eutylenum prior to 2016?
What does Jason and Chris's paper read for those 2 species, you will find the answer there, when you know learn it, come back and tell us ;)

That's the definitive revision for now, and it includes DNA data.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
What does Jason and Chris's paper read for those 2 species, you will find the answer there, when you know learn it, come back and tell us ;)

That's the definitive revision for now, and it includes DNA data.
:embarrassed: Good point, will do. :bookworm:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Ask Jamie, it's on the link I provided.

It was a rhetorical question. The number one problem with buying American (as in the USA) tarantula species is they are almost always misidentified. The pet trade A. eutylenum that are large and black as juveniles and females is actually A. steindachneri. Doesn't mean anything as far as care requirements since all Aphonopelma species from the USA can be kept the same, but it can be difficult to discuss a species when someone buys something with an incorrect ID.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It was a rhetorical question. The number one problem with buying American (as in the USA) tarantula species is they are almost always misidentified. The pet trade A. eutylenum that are large and black as juveniles and females is actually A. steindachneri. Doesn't mean anything as far as care requirements since all Aphonopelma species from the USA can be kept the same, but it can be difficult to discuss a species when someone buys something with an incorrect ID.
It didn't seem like a rhetorical question, a bit hard to determine that through text. True on the incorrrect ID and discussion, but again, what else is new in tarantula hobby? < That's a rhetorical question ;)

JillGig

Arachnopeon

She is my most easy going T. She is just a joy. ❤