Aphonopelma chalcodes Enclosure Questions

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I don't think you have to worry about a chalcodes of that size disappearing. I use a half cork bark tube and mound up earth around it so that it makes a little supported cave. My chalcodes girl hangs out in her cave and only occasionally excavates down deeper, mostly for something to do I think. It's a great species, and they do roam around a little bit more than a lot of obligate burrowers do. In fact, some of my juveniles don't burrow at all. They just scamper
around on bark and some flat rocks most of the time. Yes, they can and do climb, just not as well as they think they can. That's the danger! They tend to burrow more in the fall, BTW, as they do in the wild.

And welcome to the hobby, BTW! It's a wonderful thing to be involved with. People on this site, especially, are so knowledgeable and so willing to help you get it right. You've come to the right place! Be sure and load up some pictures of your baby when she gets there. I'd be willing to bet she came from not too far from where I am right now, here in New River.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tvibez

Arachnopeon
Thanks a bunch for the encouragement, it's gonna be fun and might be the start of an healthy obsession lol

I posted an updated pic of her housing, she's here 2morow!

Does anyone think I should drill more holes for ventilation? It's an exoterra terrarium laid on its back so it has the built ventilation and the side now that I replaced the screen top with plexy glass. I have a fresh air intake and exhaust for my apartment so I'm thinking with the exhaust pulling the air should stay fresh inside. Thanx y'all

Attachments