Aphonopelma chalcodes Enclosure Questions

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It's not half way, with it having two doors on it. I did put atleast a gallon or more sub in it
I would modify that enclosure or use a different one that doesn't have front-opening doors so that you can make the substrate height safe.

Tvibez

Arachnopeon
I see? Thanx for the input y'all! I'm thinking a piece of cork big enough to cover half the length of the doors and fill it with sub. Im never gonna see her now though lol

cold blood

Staff member
I see? Thanx for the input y'all! I'm thinking a piece of cork big enough to cover half the length of the doors and fill it with sub. Im never gonna see her now though lol
2 Better solutions...

1. Get a different enclosure...front opening enclosures are better suited for arboreals, for these exact reasons. Or 2. Modify this enclosure. To do this, you would lay the enclosure on its back, so the front doors are now at the top. The screen top would be replaced with drilled acrylic or plexi (something that should be done regardless...another safety thing)...ventilate only what would be the top half, so it acts as a dam to hold in sub. Now you can fill the enclosure with an adequate amount of substrate to create a safe enclosure.

Tvibez

Arachnopeon
2 Better solutions...

1. Get a different enclosure...front opening enclosures are better suited for arboreals, for these exact reasons. Or 2. Modify this enclosure. To do this, you would lay the enclosure on its back, so the front doors are now at the top. The screen top would be replaced with drilled acrylic or plexi (something that should be done regardless...another safety thing)...ventilate only what would be the top half, so it acts as a dam to hold in sub. Now you can fill the enclosure with an adequate amount of substrate to create a safe enclosure.
For sure I have 4 days before it gets here, heading to he depot now

For sure I have 4 days before it gets here, heading to he depot now
I really appreciate the input! I'm gonna make some minor adjustments with the décor just adding more leaf and taking a razor to the excess glue... Thanx again I'll post the final product next week

"I know nothing, that's all i know"

So far so...? Or

I really appreciate the input! I'm gonna make some minor adjustments with the décor just adding more leaf and taking a razor to the excess glue... Thanx again I'll post the final product next week
So far so...? Or
I really like how, by putting the terrarium on its back it doubled the square footage! She's spoiled already smh what a beeyotch lol

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So far so...? Or
I would add a little more substrate, so that you have no more than 5-6" of vertical space. (In your first photo, it looks like you have about 7" of vertical space.)

I'm assuming that your decoration is made of foam, so it wouldn't be a hard object for the tarantula to fall onto. (If it's not soft, I'd remove it.)

Tvibez

Arachnopeon
I would add a little more substrate, so that you have no more than 5-6" of vertical space. (In your first photo, it looks like you have about 7" of vertical space.)

I'm assuming that your decoration is made of foam, so it wouldn't be a hard object for the tarantula to fall onto. (If it's not soft, I'd remove it.)
That's the water dish? It's hard.. if she dies falling that then she doesn't deserve to live! J/k

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A safe distance, esp for heavy bodied Ts is 1.5x the DLS of the T from sub surface to height of container.