Aphonopelma care?

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone got any special tips? Maybe photos of existing enclosures?

ragingcobalt

Arachnopeon
given the natural habitat of the aphonopelma sp i've seen i would say that a pretty dry setup with a few inches of substrate for a small burrow and a little water dish. probably no bigger than a five to ten gallon aquarium would work best

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i house my hentzi in a 1/2 of a 10-gallon with about 6-7 inches of subs. she burrowed all the way to the bottom the first day. give a full dish.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an A chalcodes and gave him a half log hide. He loves it and uses every single day. I have him totally dry except for a water dish.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They will burrow pretty deep if you give them the setup for it. At least some will...

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is my A. hentzi setup. I have him in a enclosure made by exo-terra. Its about the size of a 5 gallon aquarium. Keep him on about 4 inches of dry coco with a hide and water dish. Notice the water dish is full of coco?

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
This is my A. hentzi setup. I have him in a enclosure made by exo-terra. Its about the size of a 5 gallon aquarium. Keep him on about 4 inches of dry coco with a hide and water dish. Notice the water dish is full of coco?
did yours burrow? or does it just hang around on the top?

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It burrowed initially, so I pulled it out for a minute to deepen the sub, put him back in, and it hasn't burrowed again yet.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
It burrowed initially, so I pulled it out for a minute to deepen the sub, put him back in, and it hasn't burrowed again yet.
give it some time. might take a couple/few weeks even. but aphonopelmas in nature are found in burrows for the most part.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just got my A. hentzi on sunday, and she's in a 5.5 gallon tank, with 4 inches of substrate (although I'm thinking of adding more), a water dish, a half-log hide, and a small jade plant. So far, she's spent more time on the walls and ceiling than on the floor. I haven't seen her using her hide yet, but did notice a bit of webbing on the floor in her hide. I figure she'll settle in soon, and then I can start making changes if need-be.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just got my A. hentzi on sunday, and she's in a 5.5 gallon tank, with 4 inches of substrate (although I'm thinking of adding more), a water dish, a half-log hide, and a small jade plant. So far, she's spent more time on the walls and ceiling than on the floor. I haven't seen her using her hide yet, but did notice a bit of webbing on the floor in her hide. I figure she'll settle in soon, and then I can start making changes if need-be.
give it some time. might take a couple/few weeks even. but aphonopelmas in nature are found in burrows for the most part.
:? :confused: :rolleyes: :clap: :) {D

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Az Aphonopelma come in two varieties. Under rocks or underground. Given a deep enough substrate most species will borrow. I use any large, clear, and preferably plastic jars. Something roughly the size of a large pickle jar will work. I fill it half way up and give the tarantula time. Most will dig deep borrow, that are neat to see. Their is always the oddball who just sits on the surface, but almost all of mine have dug if given the chance. I hope this helps.

John

ttula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have my a. moderatum in a 10 gallon tank with about 6 in of sphagnum peat and she burrows like crazy. She also has grown incredibly slowly. I've had her for about 5 years and she's grown from 1" to 3".

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
did yours burrow? or does it just hang around on the top?
Mine has never burrowed. I've had him about a year. He matured last month. He will take to his hide sometimes though.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have my a. moderatum in a 10 gallon tank with about 6 in of sphagnum peat and she burrows like crazy. She also has grown incredibly slowly. I've had her for about 5 years and she's grown from 1" to 3".
Why on Earth do you have a 3" T. in a 10 gallon tank?
Waaaaay to big for this kid, at this point.
T's feel more secure in a smaller "territory".
Has it been in the 10gal all this time? :?

ttula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she hasn't been in the 10 gal. tank until fairly recently

elephantspider

Arachnopeon
lol phil jones, thats exactly what I was thinking!! rofl...uh...the simple things in life...

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Phil Jones? Why don't I get that... ?
do you remember phil jones? he was the one whose whole entire post consisted of smileys...

kinda like this:
;) :clap: :cool: :? :D :confused: :embarrassed: :rolleyes: :} {D :D

(just reminiscent with 6 smilies, that's all ;))