Aphonopelma Behlei

JasonCrowl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I received this as a Freebie today. I know next to nothing about the Grand Canyon Black. Can anyone help? Size? Temperment? Dry or moist substrate, or slightly moist substrate? Lifespan? Any advice or facts and tidbits would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks folks

ArkanoviTigrovi

Arachnosquire
From what I've gathered: give it enough substrate to burrow. As for humidity keep it pretty dry. Sorry that's all I can tell you.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I received this as a Freebie today. I know next to nothing about the Grand Canyon Black. Can anyone help? Size? Temperment? Dry or moist substrate, or slightly moist substrate? Lifespan? Any advice or facts and tidbits would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks folks
I keep them dry with a waterdish.I overflow it every now and then. They love to burrow,so give it plenty of substrate.Temperament sucks,it is one of the nastiest spiders in our collection.Everyone I know that has one says theirs is a jerk as well.Lifespan is probably pretty long,being an Aphonopelma and all.Our mature female is 4.5 inches,and has a great body structure. IMHO it is the best looking native T next to bicoloratum and moderatum.

---------- Post added 10-19-2011 at 07:51 PM ----------

These guys are not very common,and are a pain to find in the wild.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My daughter has a little behlei. She had Taseo (f) at the museum days earlier this summer,and Taseo let herself be handled with no problems. She molted out to the most GORGEOUS blue black. She rearranges her home constantly, but hasn't actually burrowed. She will come popping out of the box when you open it, and then come sit on my hand when I water. One of the odd ones out, I guess. She prefers the moist soil portion of her home, at the moment.

Marga

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She may have been that calm due to being in need of a molt possibly.Any idea of her collection area,or if cbb where the parents came from?Just curious because I know there are differences in the behlei found near and around Flagstaff,Az,and those found near Payson,Az.Most I have dealt with were from the Payson area. Really bulky,hairier then the Flagstaff variant,and MEAN.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
She may have been that calm due to being in need of a molt possibly.Any idea of her collection area,or if cbb where the parents came from?Just curious because I know there are differences in the behlei found near and around Flagstaff,Az,and those found near Payson,Az.Most I have dealt with were from the Payson area. Really bulky,hairier then the Flagstaff variant,and MEAN.
Reclusa supplied her, she's three years old, so he at least knew her history. She has molted... and while she's quick, she readily comes out and sits on my hand when I water. She has not thrown a threat pose. She is far calmer than my hentzis, which are not nice. Sad tome, since my first T was a hentzi and the best T a gal could own.

Marga