Aphobopelma Chalcodes substrate issue?

Passage500

Arachnopeon
I'm relatively new to the hobby and I JUST got an A. Chalcodes at about 4 inches Today, it's my first day having her. I put her in a fairly large enclosure (maybe even a little too big) and she just started climbing the glass up to the ceiling, I tried putting her back in but she just keeps going to the walls and ceiling, I was really worried she would fall and hurt herself so I moved her to a smaller enclosure, same thing no matter what enclosure she's in she keeps going up the walls and to the ceiling, I currently just have her on ground wallnut sand like substrate, but she obviously does not like it, I have it high enough so that a fall shouldn't hurt her. I'm very confident it's the substrate that she has an issue with, but if someone could let me know or give me ideas, it would be appreciated, thanks

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Pictures would help greatly.

In the meantime, they’ve been known to be hyperactive if there is moist sub.

I’m not sure about ground walnut as a substrate but it might be viable?

Give it room to dig and once it burrows it should settle down...at least in my experience. Not the same species but before my A. hentzi burrowed it was scaling the walls nonstop.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
It doesn’t sound like a suitable substrate, unusual substrates like granite or even walnut can be harmful/repellent towards tarantulas. Aphonopelma (note the ‘n’) chalcodes are desert tarantulas that do great with plain, absolutely pesticide free topsoil as substrate that is kept dry save for overflowing the water dish a couple times a month. You can also use coconut coir substrate or my personal favourite, a nice 50/50 or 60/40 mix of both.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
If you just got her today she needs time to settle in the enclosure. My A. chalcodes climbed all over for a couple weeks when I first got her, then she made herself a nice burrow and I didn't see her again for 6 months. She rarely climbs now during the times she's out.

Walnut shells are toxic to inverts, I'd suggest you change that out for topsoil or cocofiber.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
If you just got her today she needs time to settle in the enclosure. My A. chalcodes climbed all over for a couple weeks when I first got her, then she made herself a nice burrow and I didn't see her again for 6 months. She rarely climbs now during the times she's out.

Walnut shells are toxic to inverts, I'd suggest you change that out for topsoil or cocofiber.
The same exact thing my A. Chalcodes done.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Newly housed tarantulas will climb until they get settled in. You should change the substrate though (topsoil/peat/coco fibre is fine)

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
I'm relatively new to the hobby and I JUST got an A. Chalcodes at about 4 inches Today, it's my first day having her. I put her in a fairly large enclosure (maybe even a little too big) and she just started climbing the glass up to the ceiling, I tried putting her back in but she just keeps going to the walls and ceiling, I was really worried she would fall and hurt herself so I moved her to a smaller enclosure, same thing no matter what enclosure she's in she keeps going up the walls and to the ceiling, I currently just have her on ground wallnut sand like substrate, but she obviously does not like it, I have it high enough so that a fall shouldn't hurt her. I'm very confident it's the substrate that she has an issue with, but if someone could let me know or give me ideas, it would be appreciated, thanks
Hi. My first T was also an Aphonopelma, although a different species. I know it gets repeated over and over but their abdomens are much like water baloons. When fullish from eating, a drop from 12 inches or greater can easily rupture their abdomen, and there is no hope of them recovering from it.

So this is a desert species- my Aphonopelma hentzi will NOT tolerate moisture- definitely do not use a mister bottle. What you should do instead is use a deep substrate with rocks and sand toward the bottom, then something more absorbent like clay-dirt (not black potting soil, and not tropical absorbent like moss) and then a top layer with vermiculite mix (do not use much because it's too absorbent) or just the regular soil mix. Once a week (or to what you feel your tarantulas prefers) make it rain with a gardening water bucket or a jar lid with holes cut in. Or pour it through a strainer, but not directly dumping water. Let one part get down to the bottom substrate and the rest just lightly penetrate the top, away from the den. (Let it be more humid when noticing molting behavior or eggsacs.) They need a firm substrate that is packed down some. Aphonopelma have a tendency to adopt the burrows of other species (toads/snakes) but not necessarily make their own in the wild- you can try burying a pot as a makeshift burrow. Providing more than one hiding place (fake plants and bark "tents" work) may make your new T more at home. It is common for them to climb and not settle down the first few days, but an even bigger reason is too much moisture in the substrate or not the right firmness. Loose potting soil is generally hated for desert Aphonopelma.

Also note that my particular Aphonopelma comes out at night to hunt and will NOT take food inside of its hide. It will go to great lengths to kill away from its hide and web around itself, anticipating the attraction of predators. They will avoid killing inside their den, but may take prey back to it if they feel too exposed. I don't know if yours will be the same.

If your tank lid is completely closed, like a total sheet with no ventilation or holes just poked in the side it may upset them. Despite not being aboreal, my A. Hentzi demands high ventilation. It's not recommended to use a screen lid because it can damage their legs getting stuck, although I do use one because my tarantula seems quite distressed without it. Not enough ventilation = holds humidity in.

In this climate it rains often, but then the heat spikes high to dry everything out. There are high winds. Just avoid getting their den wet at all. Along with that, Aphonopelma are great at getting all of their hydration from their prey. I've seen mine most content with june bugs, but it also devours crickets and avoids roaches. I've never once seen my T drink out of the water dish, so don't be alarmed. As long as she is eating regularly and the substrate is moistened once a week or so, it is either drinking from the substrate, sneaking a drink in the cover of night, or just getting it from prey.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions later.

One last note- desert species don't like potted terrariums because the roots produce a lot of humidity and it's just too closed of a space to air it out. Fake plants or desert plants without thorns.

Last edited:

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
Newly housed tarantulas will climb until they get settled in. You should change the substrate though (topsoil/peat/coco fibre is fine)
I'd like to add these substrates are not appropriate for nontropical species. Southern USA as a vastly different climate that vietnam or south america. They CAN be used just fine but you have to be very careful not to overflow the water dish, and using the 'rain' technique with these substrates will spike humidity really bad if the substrate is deep. It's also rather soft for Aphonopelma. They like firmer or packed substrates. Definitely do not use topsoil. Many people have kept A. Chalcodes on coco fiber successfully though. Peat is way too porous and moisture collecting.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd like to add these substrates are not appropriate for nontropical species.
o_O:rofl:

you have to be very careful not to overflow the water dish
Slightly overflowing the water dish once in a blue moon doesn't bother them.

and using the 'rain' technique with these substrates will spike humidity really bad if the substrate is deep.
The word humidity is completely irrelevant to tarantula keeping (tarantulas cannot obtain moisture from the air).

It's also rather soft for Aphonopelma. They like firmer or packed substrates.
Topsoil packs down much firmer than coco fibre and hardens to form a solid surface when dried out.

Definitely do use topsoil.
Fixed that for you ;)

I've kept everything from Arid species to Asian fossorials on topsoil/peat and I've never had an issue with it.