Anyone have white dogs?

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What shampoo do you use to keep their hair white?

I have a white poodle, and I bathe her often, and I have this whitening shampoo by Hartz, it's a blue shampoo. It works OK...but it doesnt get out the stains very well.

So I was just looking for some suggestions, if anyone has any.

Thanks ;)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'm a dog groomer, so here's a few suggestions:
Plum White by Nature's specialties. I use it on lots of dogs, it's fantastic. All natural too. you'd have to find a distributor that carries it in your area...check some of your local groomers..they may have it for sale.
I also use Black Star by Kelco, on white dogs. It's super too. Again, you'd have to find a distributor in your area. All the shampoo I use is all natural, no chemicals added.
It smells heavenly, and makes the fur SHINE

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the suggestions! I wrote them down, ill be looking for them :D

That's awesome that you are a dog groomer, I dont groom anyone's dogs but my own, but I hope to do so in the future :) Ive always loved making my dogs look pretty, even though I go a little overboard sometimes (bandana's, bows, nail polish, lol). I enjoy it :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I don't do nail polish (too time consuming lol) but I love to give them nice haircuts and make them look cute.
Too often, I get dogs that are so matted and horrible looking, I just have to strip them down with a number 7 or 10 blade. I also do a large number of stinky farm dogs :)
It's alot of fun, but also very hard work. I only do 4 days a week, and no more than 2 days in a row. I don't want to burn out. I also am a vet assistant, whenever I'm not grooming. It's a nice break.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey, question for you.

I was told by my groomer (yes, I cheated, lol) that my poodles have to keep their hair short for the first year of their life, or it will grow out straight rather than curly. She told me it is the opposite with a cocker spaniel..you have to keep it long for the first year for it to grow out curly. Is this woman on dope, or is this true?

I dont mind having my dogs hair short, it takes alot off the time I spend grooming them, which is often, especially for my white female.Not to mention being in Texas, they love it.
I just shaved them down the other day, and it took me about 3 hours for the female to bathe/blowdry/clip/and brush her completely. The male (who is smaller) it took about 2 hours. Not to mention he helps me alot when im blow drying him by rubbing around like crazy on the towel...and gives me tons of kisses in the process! :D He loves to be blowdryed, and he cant STAND to sit there and watch Blanca be blowdryed and not him, lol. He will whine the entire time.
But yeah, I agree, it is ALOT of work...phew. I just bought these new clippers at Walmart for $19.95...they work alot better than the other clippers I was using. If only I had the $$ for some nicer ones, im sure they'd help more.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have no clue about the hair thing...I've never heard of either one of those...sorry!
Sounds like your dogs are good dogs, and easy to groom, that's great.
I love my clippers, but they were $129....Andis 2 speed, Ultras...very nice! I will only use Andis clippers, and usually only Andis blades as well. I love the new #3 and the new #5/8 blade. I hate using those clip on combs for the longer hair. These new blades are AWESOME, that is, if you have $40 to spend on one!

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's ok, she may have been nuts :D

I keep their hair short anyway, for now..so it's no biggie.

They are GREAT dogs. I have been grooming them since they were puppies...and they do very well on the table. They wait patiently for me to finish *of course I give them a break inbetween*. Blanca loves to be groomed, she somehow knows she looks good, and she flaunts herself around Tyson when she is done, LOL. It's very cute.
The groomer I took them to said the same thing, that they obviously have been trained to be groomed, which they have. Im proud of them :)

But anyway, im going to order that shampoo when I get some money, cant wait to try it out :D

Thanks for your help!

~Crystal

Last edited: