Anyone have info on a "Fantasy Frog"?

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of the things I picked up at the Sac reptile show was a Fantasy Frog that is around 2" now. The only thing I know about it is that the care is the same as a Pixie or Pac Man.

Does anyone else have some more info or pics? I heard it is a cross between 2 sp. but I'm not even sure on that.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think they're a hybrid horned frog C. ornata x C. cranwelli.

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fantasy Frog?

Yea.............they are a hybrid of the Cranwelli and Cornuta horned frogs. The C.Cornuta is commonly called the "Amazon Horned Frog", and has very large horns, the largest of all the horned frogs. They also have a chartreuse green color that is very bright, and almost glows. The hybrids were bred originally by Phillippe Devosjoli and Robert Mailloux because the Cornuta has such attractive qualities, such as the horns, and color; but they are very hard to establish in captivity. Main problems being that they usually will not eat mice, and only eat goldfish or crickets. And.........when they are imported, they come in heavily parasitized, usually.

The Cranwelli is much more hardy in captivity, compared to the Cornuta. So.............it was a great candidate for the hybrid program. I have a hybrid male, and he is just short of 11 years old, and still going strong. He is the most consistent Horned frog feeder that I have, and loves mice. Most frogs calm down with age, but mine is still very aggressive. He will bite at anything or anyone he thinks might be food! :D He has bitten me numerous times over the years, and I am always amazed by how quick they are, without warning, and without blinking so much as an eye, before striking. And.......how sharp the teeth are! :) The jaw pressure they can exert is quite impressive. I think I have some pics. in my files, and if I find them I will post them. I have been taking alot of pics. of all kinds of things lately, so it might be a challenge to find them.