Anyone have frineds or family that want your little ones dead?

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I was just wondering if any of you live with or are around people that would love nothing more than to turn your spiders into a stain on the bottom of their shoes?

My mom doesn't like them and she jokes about them dying but I know she'd never do anything to them because it would be hurtful to me and I don't let things go. She used to say the only good animal is a dead animal when I was younger which I find funny because my parents have dogs and cats. She's all talk. . .

My tarantulas are safe from being murdered but I had some fish that weren't so lucky. When I was little I had some fish that just up and died after months of having them. I just found out this year from my mom that my grandma hated those fish and everyday she'd walk by that tank and drop one of her nerve pills in. So basically my grandma killed my fish and then told my mom after the fact, I was shocked to learn she'd do something like that. It just made me wonder if any of you have had a family member just go behind your back and sabotage your incubators, tanks or feeders out of fear or loathing for your little eight legged friends. . . I loved my grandma and she's been gone for a few years but that still bothers me to this day. . .

Crickeylynn

Arachnopeon
No, I don't think any of my friends or family would hurt any of my pets, out of fear of what I would do to them. They know my animals (all of them) are my life.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope, even my family members who dislike my Ts or dogs wouldn't harm them out of love/respect for me.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
My husbands step-dad thinks keeping spiders is pointless and has no problem killing bugs and wild spiders in my presence. I won't get into my beliefs as this isn't the place lol, but I will not kill anything if I can help it. I have spiders that eat crickets but that is the circle of life and I can't change that, the crickets I keep are well kept and I respect them even if they are food for my ts. My husbands step-dad knows my beliefs and will seemingly go out of his way to crush a bug in front of me and smile while doing it. It upsets me that some people just don't care, just take the pill bug outside or let me do it but don't go out of your way to exterminate it.

The people in my house don't love tarantulas but they do think they are kind of neat. My dad will ask how they are once or twice a month or come up and see them. My husband thinks they are kind of creepy but he doesn't care that I have them (as long as they don't end up on his pillow somehow). . .

Bast

Arachnopeon
My mother called me tonight hysterical after my brother told her that we now have a T (3" A. avic), she was screaming at me that our 'vicious spider' was going to kill our 3 cats, our dog and my son! I was trying to calm her down and educate her, but she wanted none of it...apparently we just own a 3" destroyer of all things living.

Pretty sure she wants little Karina to meet an untimely end....glad we don't live with her LOL

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My mother called me tonight hysterical after my brother told her that we now have a T (3" A. avic), she was screaming at me that our 'vicious spider' was going to kill our 3 cats, our dog and my son! I was trying to calm her down and educate her, but she wanted none of it...apparently we just own a 3" destroyer of all things living.

Pretty sure she wants little Karina to meet an untimely end....glad we don't live with her LOL
I'm sorry cause I know this must be frustrating for you, but I couldn't stop laughing when I read this lol!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Thankfully, no. I have family that wants nothing to do with them, but I don't think they'd intentionally harm them. Funnily enough, they are more accepting of my spiders and scorpions than snakes.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know people who think that pets in general are a sign of immaturity, and other pets than a dog is a sign of being deviant. My mom got told by a vetenerian that pet snakes would try to measure you then inflate in order to eat you later.
I have been told of people calling the police to force a relative to get rid of his collection, and on this board I read the story of a guy who got his collection soaked in Raid by a somehow deranged relative. I will move very far if anyone tries anything against mine...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
Ive gotten a lot of my friends into spiders now including my girlfriend. My dad just told me the other day that I can't have anymore Ts because my step mom is getting freaked out lol. He said the ones I have are fine. Well, he asked how many I had and I said 4. I have 9 LOL. Including two psalmos and an obt sling. All of mine are small besides my A. francki and a B. smithi so they don't even really notice. I think the webbing of the francki really got to her. I know they wouldnt do anything to hurt them because nobody would even want to open the dang lid haha. Ill be out of this house soon anyways. That's when my collection will most likely skyrocket. I'm okay with it. =P

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Nope. Both my GF and I are enthusiast and any of our friends or family are schooled before even being around them. If anyone hurt my babies they'd be eatin elbows

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
surprisingly my mom refers to my collection as her grandchildren (I wonder if she is implying anything) she always ask me how they are doing so I am lucky about my family not really caring. However my friends are a different story all together. I am always amazed at true arachnophobe people. I have a friend that is you know six five 200 some pounds and told me flat out when I was living him That he would kill any spider I try to bring to the house and freak out thinking i would actually bring one over. I have another friend who is scared of spiders but he like see my spiders all the time, but as soon as I open the lid to feed them. He moves a few feet back and waits until the lid close before looking at them again and watching them feed. of course being a guy my friend rip on me just like I rip on them and they joke about saying "hey what happens if I do x.... to your T" and then then I would reply with "they would never find your body, because I would feed you to my spiders" :biggrin: so I've never had to worry about my T's safety with anybody, but needing some one to watch them is a whole another story.

FoxtheLviola

Arachnosquire
My oldest brother threatens to kill them with fire. I know he would never actually do this because he is too big of a baby to get close enough to them. He wouldn't even come over the house when I told him my P. cam sling escaped. His reactions really don't make any sense because he was the first person in my family to ever own a tarantula when we were kids. My parents are very tolerant of them.....they might even like some of them. And they even enjoying hearing about when they molt and how much they grew. My dad does complain when I bring a new T home. For example, he made a big fuss the other day when I got my H. lividum juvie, but when he saw how blue it was he thought it was awesome. And my friends would never hurt my Ts, either because they wont get close to them or they think they are interesting.

Toytarantula13

Arachnopeon
My collection is 40 tarantulas and my mother brother and husband like them fine as do my 8 year old little girl and my son who is 10. On the other hand my sister {who I dont live with } would love to see them die a untimly death. I was brought up on a farm and had a pet rabbit that she killed and never told me, but I found out . so I would not put it past her to try and do something.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
No one in my family is ignorant/cruel enough to kill harmless arachnids.

ghstintheshell

Arachnopeon
Wow, it saddens and sickens me that there are people on this planet that would intentionally harm or kill someone else's pet. My family and friends may not "get" my tarantula keeping but they certainly respect it.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
My grandma wants me to sell my Ts, fat chance of that happening

Hapalopi

Arachnopeon
My mom is the person who got me into T's in the first place, my wife puts up with them, and none of my friends will come to my house. Ever. Sad but true.

Giomanach

Arachnopeon
well most of my familiy members do not even want to be near the terrarium, they would get a panick attack just at the thought of having to touch it or try to kill it.. XD lucky me..