Anyone have experience housing (same sex) halloween hissers with regular hissers?

Roachapproach

Arachnopeon
I had 2 regular madagascar hissers but sadly one has passed leaving me with only 1. I would like to get a male Halloween hisser to be his new friend. Both would be males so no breeding would happen.
What I'm wondering is, because of the size difference, would this lead to problems for the Halloween when they fight? Besides that is there anything else that would make this a bad idea?

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Hopefully they aren't like dubias where the males beat each other to death when there are not enough females around.

Maybe you could get a female and put a little chastity belt on her 🤣

Why not give the babies away or sell them?

paumotu

Arachnobaron
It would probably be fine in a large enough enclosure. I have not found halloween hissers to be particularly aggressive. Elliptorhina in general seem to be more tolerant of their kind compared to gromphadorhina sp

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hopefully they aren't like dubias where the males beat each other to death when there are not enough females around.

Yeah I don’t see point of keeping roaches without breeding them. I could use some cheap or free ones .
Chastity belt🤣🤣🤣
I had 2 regular madagascar hissers but sadly one has passed leaving me with only 1. I would like to get a male Halloween hisser to be his new friend. Both would be males so no breeding would happen.
What I'm wondering is, because of the size difference, would this lead to problems for the Halloween when they fight? Besides that is there anything else that would make this a bad idea?
it might be fine how big of a size difference is there?

Roachapproach

Arachnopeon
It would probably be fine in a large enough enclosure. I have not found halloween hissers to be particularly aggressive. Elliptorhina in general seem to be more tolerant of their kind compared to gromphadorhina sp
I'd be putting just the two of them in a 10 gallon tank.
Texas and Toast had been in a 5 gallon, but Toast passed before I was able to finish the new 10 gallon set up.
If a 10 gallon sounds big enough then
a halloween will be Texas's new tank mate.

Yeah I don’t see point of keeping roaches without breeding them. I could use some cheap or free ones .
Chastity belt🤣🤣🤣

it might be fine how big of a size difference is there?
When I got my boys a year a half ago they were the same size as eachother until I got to see one molt into an adult about 6 months later.
My surviving roach seems to have peter pan syndrome as he's refused to molt past his final nymph stage. Maybe with the aggressive adult now gone, and the bigger tank he will finally molt.

But at the moment, he is only a little bigger than the size of a halloween.

Roachapproach

Arachnopeon

Lol a chastity belt on a roach. My bugs are just my pets for now. I like giving them names, seeing their personalities closely, and how they interact in pairs. Easily keeping up with the individuals and all that.

One day, just for fun, I would really like to breed warty glowspots