anyone have a Cassowary?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cassowarys are very aggressive and not for everyone, even you Ted.
You are better off with Rheas...they are like the diet coke of big birds.
You also need a decent amount of space and a small heated building for them to retreat to.

Ravens are cool, but also illegal to own in many places...most corvids are protected by law outside of hunting seasons. You can kill one but you can't keep it as a pet.
it's true..they are just too dangerous.
I just thought it would be an interesting question.
I am not in the market for being disembowelled.[sp]
I prefer my innards right where they are.:razz:
thats pretty screwed up about it being legal to kill any of the corvids, but illegal to own.:?

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know a guy who, who knows a guy who knows this guys borther that talked to some one with a cassowary as a pet.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats pretty screwed up about it being legal to kill any of the corvids, but illegal to own.
Or how its legal to own a cobra in Wisconsin, but illegal to own caiman :wall: :confused: :wall:. I acctually saw one at a mom and pop pet store when I was five, and was determined to spend all of my savings to get it but for some reason my mom didn't like the idea. ~ Rex

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the animals i have always wanted the most are a Cassowary,Hyena,King Cobra, and a Raven.:}
a pet hyena would be cool. i'd hate to imagine what would happen if it got pissy, though.

and hyena butter isn't something you want on your toast.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a pet hyena would be cool. i'd hate to imagine what would happen if it got pissy, though.

and hyena butter isn't something you want on your toast.
Yeah aren't their jaws one of the strongest of all the mammals? Right up there with the Tasmanian Devil I thought. It wouldn't have to be pissed to do some serious damage, just a simple accident is all it would take. They have no idea what kind of strength they are capable of and don't know any better not to. ~ Rex

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah aren't their jaws one of the strongest of all the mammals?
dude lets just say they could break your arm as they bite into it w/o even thinking about it... i do believe they have the strongest jaws of any Mammal and probably one of the strongest of all animals right under Crocodilians and Sharks

Fenrir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tasmanian Devil has strongest jaws for its size i think. Great White is probably strongest jaw strength but no one has ever measured the biting force of one. What about a Kodiak Grizzly? They dont need jaw strength they could just rip ur arms off. My zoo used to have a cassowary it scared the daylights outta me. The thing could rip satan a new one.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dude lets just say they could break your arm as they bite into it w/o even thinking about it... i do believe they have the strongest jaws of any Mammal and probably one of the strongest of all animals right under Crocodilians and Sharks
I've heard they can break an elephant leg bone.:eek:

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't be surprised... there jaws are made for scavenging, and I'm sure when they find some thing there gonna take it for all it's got including the bone marrow(yummy lol), since they have to compete with all the other scavengers in Africa

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i thought i read somewhere that they were more predator than scavenger :?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i thought i read somewhere that they were more predator than scavenger :?
thats what i have learned too.
it seems, that predators really are opporunistic.
maybe thats a better term.:?

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tasmanian Devil has strongest jaws for its size i think. Great White is probably strongest jaw strength but no one has ever measured the biting force of one. What about a Kodiak Grizzly? They dont need jaw strength they could just rip ur arms off. My zoo used to have a cassowary it scared the daylights outta me. The thing could rip satan a new one.
So far the animal with the largest bit force was an adult alligator with something like 1800lbs per square inch (could be wrong). But yeah the Great White could probably top that, but feild research that result in such discoveries is unfortuanly not conducted. ~ Rex

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The strongest human bite force ever recorded: 350 pounds. The strongest shark bite force ever recorded: 132 pounds!

heres one supporting the alligator as a top contender..

After eight days and testing 60 subjects, Erickson and Vliet recorded a bite with 2,125 pounds of force from a 665-pound, 12-foot American alligator. That's a force equal to the weight of a small pickup truck. The biting force of smaller alligators and crocodiles were basically proportional to their size, thus Erickson and Vliet estimated that SuperCroc had about 18,000 pounds of force to hold on to its prey, or about eight and one-half times the force of the 12-foot alligator's bite.

One of the strongest bite forces recorded was the Nile Crocodile, at over 2500 pounds of force!

The Strongest Bite Ever
It belonged to a monstrous ancestral fish[Dunkleosteus terrelli, which, with its 33 feet (10 m) length and 4 tons]

The scientists calculated a jaw power bite of 11,000 pounds, enough to brake the toughest shells and bones from the ocean. But the jaw of Dunkleosteus supported on the front a formidable array of bladed teeth, and the pressure measured at the tip of its fangs of 80,000 pounds per square inch. The biomechanical model of the fish mouth revealed that it had a highly mobile skull controlled by a unique mechanism based on four rotational joints, the secret behind its strong bite.

and currently in the animal kingdom, here are the ratings..

Lion
Tiger
Hyena
Jaguar
Grizzly bear
Wild dogs

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and currently in the animal kingdom, here are the ratings..

Lion
Tiger
Hyena
Jaguar
Grizzly bear
Wild dogs
You mean mammal kingdom right? Also I thought Tasmainian devils were pretty high on the list, but maybe that was because of their small size.

The strongest shark bite force ever recorded: 132 pounds!
Good to know! I guess they tear/swallow food more than crush it. ~ Rex

BostonBrother

Arachnopeon
the animals i have always wanted the most are a Cassowary,Hyena,King Cobra, and a Raven.:}
I had a raven for a while. It was an older nestling that fell to the ground. It became pretty friendly. He was pretty easy to take care of as well. I'd place some dog food in a dish and soak it with water, and he'd chow that stuff. I'd take him outside to stretch his wings, until one day he was ready to go off on his own. He was fun while I had him though.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Johnny Cash kept emus back in the 60s I believe, and was almost killed by one. If I recall the story correctly, it slashed his gut open and he had to smack it with a fence post to get it off him.

You have to be one tough animal to try to take out the Man In Black.